Author Topic: Marti 351W spark plug wires  (Read 1076 times)

Offline orlandod

Marti 351W spark plug wires
« on: May 29, 2023, 10:54:38 AM »
I purchased a set of wires from Marti (SPW-13D) for my 69 Mach 1 San Jose 351W (hopefully I ordered the right set) My question is these wires are not labelled as to which plug they go to and to compound my confusion some have sleeves and angles boots and some do not. Is there any documentation explaining the style of wire for each plug?

Below is a description and total length of what I have...

4 wires with straight boots of varying lengths (27.25"/27.5"/29"/30.5")
2 with angled boots plus a sleeve (24"/28.75")
1 with straight boot plus sleeve (30")
1 angle boot and no sleeve (28.5")
Plus dist wire which is labelled

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 05:26:51 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 Mach 1
San Jose
351W-4V
Built 03/24/69
3.00/FMX

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Marti 351W spark plug wires
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 10:40:47 PM »
Here is how I've installed them based on my look at originals

Sleeves are used on the sires next to/over the heat shroud and up tub over the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Starting from front most cylinder/spark plug on each side

Drivers side  - No Sleeved   First 3 straight boots   4th one has the 90 degree

Passenger side  -  First 3 have the sleeves.  3rd spark plug get the sleeved 90 degree boot  4th one has a straight boot with no sleeve

You can figure out where each straight boot wire goes based on their length, in order, and the distance from spray plug to dist cap. Longest to shortest.

Remember that the wires are not attached to the holder on the valve cover next to another right before or after in the firing order

From another thread. Shelby and Mustang (and other Ford applications) used the same wires
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 05:32:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 12:12:29 AM »
I haven't bought any of the Marti plugs in a while but I am surprised when you mentioned that they are not marked to what cylinders they go to. The should be marked just like the ones in Jeff's picture.If they aren't you may have gotten a early set by mistake.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 12:23:14 AM »
I haven't bought any of the Marti plugs in a while but I am surprised when you mentioned that they are not marked to what cylinders they go to. The should be marked just like the ones in Jeff's picture.If they aren't you may have gotten a early set by mistake.

+1 Great thought on something I over looked in my response
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 01:43:30 AM »
+1 Great thought on something I over looked in my response
I got your back. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline orlandod

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 09:37:57 AM »
My bad... Bob's comment about the wire numbers got me thinking and I can't believe I overlooked that they are indeed there. Kevin Marti's products are first rate so I want to take the blame for posting before looking really carefully. Thanks for the help and the pictures and I will call this thread closed.
1969 Mach 1
San Jose
351W-4V
Built 03/24/69
3.00/FMX

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 05:43:49 PM »
My bad... Bob's comment about the wire numbers got me thinking and I can't believe I overlooked that they are indeed there. Kevin Marti's products are first rate so I want to take the blame for posting before looking really carefully. Thanks for the help and the pictures and I will call this thread closed.
Make sure you put the wires in the correct 351W firing order because the 289/302 /390/428 is different