Author Topic: Steering Wheel after restoration color verses faux wood dash and door inserts  (Read 1353 times)

Offline asrassoc

Good afternoon all.

Just received both my original steering wheel as well as my dash clusters back from the respective restorers.

Attached are pics of the restored wheel and the clusters BEFORE restoration.

Restored wood grain on the wheel is much darker than faux wood on the dash pieces. Do these fade over time?

Should I look at replacing the faux woodgrain with repros?
1969 Mustang Mach I R Code 428 CJ Introductory Show Unit

Offline jwc66k

Just received both my original steering wheel as well as my dash clusters back from the respective restorers.
I'm missing something. The "BEFORE" restoration pictures. Are there 'AFTER" restoration pictures?
After time, say a solid ten years of normal use, the finish will get noticeably worn. I got in the habit of wearing deerskin gloves to reduce the perspiration from my hands getting on the steering wheel and the slipping and sliding on the restored (or new in my case) wheel thru both hands. I learned to drive in New England (snow, rain, humidity, rust reside there) so I wore gloves all the time. I still wear gloves but the driving is on the West Coast.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
So just to clarify. You have a pretty or very early Mach I with the light woodgrain inserts on the dash and door panels and your concerned that the tone or color of the steering wheel does not match or is even close to the dash and door panel coloring?

As for fading of the steering wheel I would not expect or anticipate that it will lighten over time.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

After restoration pics?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Good afternoon all.

Restored wood grain on the wheel is much darker than faux wood on the dash pieces. Do these fade over time?

Should I look at replacing the faux woodgrain with repros?
Early 69's had the light teak and later had the dark dash and door panels. With that said I have only seen the shade of darker walnut faux finish used on the steering wheel rim re regardless of early or late which gives me a high confidence level that was typical. You should not be surprised that the light teak does not match the dark walnut steering wheel. If they did it would be perceived as not factory. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 09:59:27 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline asrassoc

Thanks Bob!

THe only pics I had of the dash clusters was before I sent them to be restored.  Had already repackaged them to store until ready.  the 'teak" on the pics I posted appear to be the factory original ones and are in good shape so I'll use them.

1969 Mustang Mach I R Code 428 CJ Introductory Show Unit