Author Topic: 69 Fold Down Rear Seat - Color of interior Panels  (Read 1410 times)

Offline sidewinder427

69 Fold Down Rear Seat - Color of interior Panels
« on: July 24, 2023, 12:59:20 PM »
Hey guys,
I?m thinking about adding a fold down rear seat to my 69 Mach1 with white interior. I searched the net for some pics how it will look and noticed that the rear side panels, hockey sticks and panel above the trap door are left black on some cars but are white on other cars. Is this depending on where the car was built or if its a early or late model? My car was built in Feb 69, so how should the color of the panels be? Did you have luck dying black plastic panels to white?

Another question: as I wrote above my car didnt?come from the factory with a fold down rear seat. When I bought it there was no trap door. Is this correct or should it have a trap door also? If so: should the trap door also have a grained "camera case" surface as well?

Thanks for your kind help!

Andre

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 Fold Down Rear Seat - Color of interior Panels
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 02:29:55 PM »
The fold down seat should have a trap door.

I believe the white/black color scheme is correct.

Yes, the door will have a grainy texture

Online 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 02:46:26 PM »
My Dearborn 69 Mach 1/Shelby with white interior.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 06:44:47 PM »
Hey guys,
I?m thinking about adding a fold down rear seat to my 69 Mach1 with white interior. I searched the net for some pics how it will look and noticed that the rear side panels, hockey sticks and panel above the trap door are left black on some cars but are white on other cars. Is this depending on where the car was built or if its a early or late model? My car was built in Feb 69, so how should the color of the panels be?

There is a difference between how 69 and 70 panels were painted and its not unusual to find a redone 69 Mach I redone incorrectly. This is likely leading you to question what they were originally. As you will see in a number of threads here on this site the rear panels were painted the dark charcoal metallic like the lower dash panel as shown in the original car below and the example above

Did you have luck dying black plastic panels to white?

Of course. Since your going to strip all the old paint off the surface this will return it to the light off white color of the base material which makes the best base and an easy task of recoloring them. There is another thread on methods to strip these panels on the site that has help many with the task

Another question: as I wrote above my car didnt?come from the factory with a fold down rear seat. When I bought it there was no trap door. Is this correct or should it have a trap door also? If so: should the trap door also have a grained "camera case" surface as well?

The trap door is metal and it has a similar stamped "camera finish" texture in the metal like the lower dash panel has
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sidewinder427

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 04:01:13 AM »
Thank you all for your response!
I?m afraid I would have to use the repro side and back panels and chrome parts (original 3-piece fold down is already there). Any experiences regarding quality and fitting (especially the plastic parts)?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 12:50:08 AM »
Thank you all for your response!
I?m afraid I would have to use the repro side and back panels and chrome parts (original 3-piece fold down is already there). Any experiences regarding quality and fitting (especially the plastic parts)?

Complaints about the repo plastic panels have been related more to the grain not looking like originals. Just what I've seen in reports over time.  Fold down trim is thin and dents or bends easily also. Thinner metal. Haven't purchased any myself but I hope they don't have a "one size fits all" 65-70 or up version since that is going to create problems for some. Since you have a 70 you won't need the one that goes under the bottom of the trap door but you will have to deal with the heavy stapled end instead. Believe there is another thread covering 69 or 70 covering that detail
Jeff Speegle

Offline sidewinder427

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 05:47:50 AM »
MY folddown trim is in good shape, only one chrome part is rusted through. I have a 69, don?t really knwo what you mean with the part under the trap door. Is that a plastic or chrome part?
I know about the thin plastic panel above the trap door, but I?m not familiar with something under the bottom of it. Perhaps you have a picture of it?
Thanks for your efforts!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 06:54:08 PM »
MY folddown trim is in good shape, only one chrome part is rusted through. I have a 69, don?t really know what you mean with the part under the trap door. Is that a plastic or chrome part?
I know about the thin plastic panel above the trap door, but I?m not familiar with something under the bottom of it. Perhaps you have a picture of it?
Thanks for your efforts!

OK a couple of pictures

65-67 fold down rear carpeted floor section rear trim - red arrows

68-70 fold down rear carpeted floor section without rear trim

Jeff Speegle

Offline sidewinder427

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 02:50:19 PM »
Think I've got it now. Thanks for your patience!