Author Topic: early 69 SJ production engine bay details.  (Read 611 times)

Offline shelbymann1970

early 69 SJ production engine bay details.
« on: September 19, 2023, 09:29:42 AM »
Going through numerous topic posts from a search I still have a few questions. On an early SJ build where was the service specification decal placed? DS shock tower? Did the plant ever use the white square inspection stickers on the cowl area? There is a pic in an unrestored thread of a SJ car with one on the upper cowl and the sticker had the patina of original(all worn out and faded). On an early  CJ car were the engine spec decal always on the DS outer  chrome valve cover? Any paint inspection stamps used at SJ in 69? Thanks. Gary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: early 69 SJ production engine bay details.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 03:28:31 PM »
Since you asked allot of questions going to keep my responses short to each

Going through numerous topic posts from a search I still have a few questions. On an early SJ build where was the service specification decal placed? DS shock tower?

Not exactly sure of what month your looking for information from. If so I could be more specific. Drivers side shock tower as you mention just like typical San Jose practice. On AC cars at least one of the workers would place that sticker on the drivers side forward inner fender panel

Did the plant ever use the white square inspection stickers on the cowl area? There is a pic in an unrestored thread of a SJ car with one on the upper cowl and the sticker had the patina of original(all worn out and faded).

I've found a couple of cars with a square type sticker on the cowl but none of them have been clear enough to provide what was on the sticker or their use or purpose. Apparently not used for long and possibly a test to see if they wanted to try using them, again for some unknown reason, but choose not to. Have seen very very few and some I still question a bit. Also the ones I question don't have any information about the car, like a VIN to go along with the claim but I've collected a couple I believe indicate they were tried but just didn't work out after the short test.

On an early  CJ car were the engine spec decal always on the DS outer  chrome valve cover?

That decal was applied at the engine plant so location was dependent on which plant the engine was assembled at and the worker but they were pretty standard in their use and location from the ones I've seen in 69.

Any paint inspection stamps used at SJ in 69? Thanks. Gary

Yes just like every year at San Jose. Two different inspectors. One for the uni-body and one to do, at a different location in the plant, the parts that were individually painted off the car. For 69 this included the hood, fenders, headlight bucket and cowl cover. Four different styles of stamps were used depending on the inspector. Some of the older guys kept their earlier styles while others had theirs changed in late 68 and at least one got a new one in late 69 production and it carried over to the final 1970 production. Last names were the most commonly used. Last names except for one worker whose last name was too long for the stamp. We knew this inspector and he worked, after leaving Ford, with a close friend for a number of years and he got his stamp. That was a nice favor IMHO

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline shelbymann1970

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 11:53:11 AM »
A friend of mine picked up a really nice detailed 69 Q-code Vert. Early car. I'm waiting on the build date. Auto AC. Stricker is on the shock tower and the upper cowl has those square stickers along with an F on the ds shock tower above the service decal. Just trying to find out how SJ did them. Car has the pie cut hood. Solid original metal Calif car. Do you have a pic of the screws that hold the lanyards on for hood pins on a 69 at SJ? Thanks. Gary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 05:21:37 PM »
A friend of mine picked up a really nice detailed 69 Q-code Vert.

Does this description include an "unrestored"? In other therms it this an untouched car? "Nicely detailed" also suggest that the car has possibly been detailed.  Would be interesting to see a picture of the engine compartment since I would guess there are more Dearborn details present.  BTW this wouldn't be a white exterior, black interior GT built on Oct 69 would it? If so then it was restored, in at least the areas I have pictures of, as a Dearborn car.

Over the years there have been a LOT of San Jose cars restored in the eastern part of the country that had Dearborn stickers and other details done to them. The stickers were always popular and when I saw them on a restored car owners always confessed that "no they were there when I bought the car but my (or a friends) low mileage Dearborn car has them"  ::)

The fact that your description includes one sticker (mentioned below) on the shock tower makes me wonder as well as this being a pretty special and rare car. Much more likely IMHO that its been restored or freshened up where a standard coupe with a 6 cylinder or 302 would likely not be. And lastly being an early car does not fit in the production period the other unrestored with the sticker test were assembled

Early car. I'm waiting on the build date. Auto AC. Sticker is on the shock tower and the upper cowl has those square stickers along with an F on the ds shock tower above the service decal. Just trying to find out how SJ did them. Car has the pie cut hood. Solid original metal Calif car.

Do you have a pic of the screws that hold the lanyards on for hood pins on a 69 at SJ? Thanks. Gary

Not to get too far off thread but since we can keep this short. In general, and looking at the full year of production San Jose didn't use screws during all of production on the GT's and Mach I's as discussed in the thread below. I suggest that if you want to follow this line and discussion repost the request in that thread and I'll try and find some details if your asking about the period when they did use screws. Like other details discussed above allot of cars have been modified and cables reattached using screws since the owner/builder was more familiar with practices of other plants rather than San Jose

Hood pin cable attaching point - San Jose
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=28022.msg171183#msg171183
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 05:34:08 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)