Author Topic: 67 Shelby tribute  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Brian in PA

67 Shelby tribute
« on: December 27, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »
Hi guys!  I recently purchased a nice rust free 67 Fastback that I would like to make a GT 350 tribute from.  The car is a San Jose built car, and is nicely optioned.  It is a c code auto  is has AC, PS, Power disk brakes, console, and a fold down rear seat ,also long gone   Now I am a bit Mustang/Shelby ignorant {mainly dealt with Cougars} so I am gonna have a lot of questions ;D
First I'm, gonna need to know about over-spray patterns for underside detail, would I go from the actual car or for a Shelby built car? Also the options that I listed, would they be available on a Shelby? Do I need to find a 9" rear end? where are the best places to purchase quality Shelby fiberglass? I would like to do a Shelby drop, was this done at the Shelby facility?  Thats it for now!  Thanks for all your help!

Brian
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:03:57 PM by Brian in PA »

Offline roddster

Re: 67 Shelby tribute
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 06:33:55 AM »
  Well, remember, it was built at San Jose first, then converted into a Shelby.  So, all that SJ over spray and such should stay.
  Option wise, you lose the console.  And better find a 9 inch.  And, better decide where along the production you want to build a knock off as besides the Fomoco changes that went on, there were numerous Shelby American running changes.
For instance:
 Early cars had a metal underlined hood and deck lid.  Angeled front grill, inboard headlights (brights)
 Then came the all fiberglass hood and deck lid. Inset grill (up and down) inboard headlights
 Then there was the outboard headlighted cars.
  And somewhere in the middlde of production, the wheels when from magstars to all aluminum ten spokes.  Oh, and some cars had hubcaps.
  And they all had deluxe interior.  And the 67 Shelby steering wheel.  And the rollbar.  And the 8000 rpm tach on the 350's.

So, better go look at plenty of real Shelbys to decide,  Who makes the best glass. I don't know.  Mine came with the car....from Shelby American

Offline Brian in PA

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 09:36:35 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure to take plenty of photos of the underside once I get it on the rotisserie so I get the paint right.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 11:29:33 PM »
  Well, remember, it was built at San Jose first, then converted into a Shelby.  So, all that SJ over spray and such should stay.
  Option wise, you lose the console.  And better find a 9 inch.  And, better decide where along the production you want to build a knock off as besides the Fomoco changes that went on, there were numerous Shelby American running changes.
For instance:
 Early cars had a metal underlined hood and deck lid.  Angeled front grill, inboard headlights (brights)
 Then came the all fiberglass hood and deck lid. Inset grill (up and down) inboard headlights
 Then there was the outboard headlighted cars.
  And somewhere in the middlde of production, the wheels when from magstars to all aluminum ten spokes.  Oh, and some cars had hubcaps.
  And they all had deluxe interior.  And the 67 Shelby steering wheel.  And the rollbar.
  • And the 8000 rpm tach on the 350's.

So, better go look at plenty of real Shelbys to decide,  Who makes the best glass. I don't know.  Mine came with the car....from Shelby American
For clarification-Mag star wheels were extensively used early AND late 67 production not just early . Tenspokes were mainly seen in between. GT350 and GT500 both had 8000rpm tach's .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby