Author Topic: Correct Color Smog Bracket 66 GT  (Read 5389 times)

Offline DM_1964

Correct Color Smog Bracket 66 GT
« on: July 25, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
What's the correct color for the smog brackets? (for a SJ 66 GT)
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct Color Smog Bracket 66 GT
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 11:28:23 PM »
Engine block color - mounted to the block when it was painted
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:35:45 PM »
Thanks Jeff, confirmed my assumption.
Regards,
Dom

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:45:24 AM »
Same on the 67's too, right?

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:52:24 AM »
67's were black.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »
Same on the 67's too, right?

Yes painted on the block up through 69 - this includes 67.  Sure I've got maybe a half dozen of those unless I've thrown some away recently

Have seen service replacements that were painted black
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 12:07:06 AM »
Yes painted on the block up through 69 - this includes 67.  Sure I've got maybe a half dozen of those unless I've thrown some away recently

Have seen service replacements that were painted black
when your right your right  :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »
Thank you everyone for these postings. I literally just removed mine and stripped it this last Saturday. I had painted it black years ago when I did the first semi-detailing of the engine & compartment, when I had the engine gone through and overhauled. I'm in process now of restoring every piece of the smog system currently. I don't have access to a media blaster so everything is now stripped (by hand method - paint stripper (spray can) & wire brushes). These brackets, in particular, are not the easiest of items to strip either but I'm all finished and now ready to paint.
Your timing on this post is obvious/perfect and I'm VERY grateful, as is the usual here.

Cheers!

-Lance
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 05:12:03 PM »
...I'm all finished and now ready to paint
Lance, please post a pic of the finished product once you're done. I'd be interested to see how it turns out ;)
Regards,
Dom

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »
Thanks Dom, I'll try to do that as soon as I can. Should be cool to see it all finally freshened up. It's been a very long time! What I am also thinking right now, is posting some pictures of all the stripped parts and their respective stamped-in part numbers for folks' reference, if this would be beneficial. Not sure it's been done yet, and if so, maybe someone can chime in, so as not to duplicate someones good efforts previously.
I ran them through a soaking in Evap-o-rust and they came out pristine in some cases. You can even see the FoMoCo rectangle stamp on the little bracket that gets the big canister clamp, right against the canister itself. I never even knew there was a number and stamp on it before. Fun and "revealing"stuff. I'll see what I can come up with for everyone.

-Lance
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 06:00:28 PM »
Lance, please post a pic of the finished product once you're done. I'd be interested to see how it turns out ;)

+1

66's are not all the same as my 67, but many things ARE the same. Still nice to see all the variances all buttoned up and beautiful ;)  BTW, if you are lacking any small detail or item, let me know. I have some spare 66 (since they are different than mine) parts I'll not be using.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
Thanks Richard. You're right about the similarities. I was surprised but Bob Mannel's book has filled in a good many blanks for me, either in knowledge or my sometimes-unreliable-memory! I appreciate the offer too. There is one (and I really mean "only one") piece that I'm missing for our entire system and that is this, unique to SJ 66, spark plug wire extention bracket that is used on the passenger side of the car. I don't have Bob's book handy right now (I'm at work, and yes, I know...!) but that little bugger has eluded my collection efforts these last few years. Bob has the perfect picture of it. Only used on the early cars with the lower profile and rounded valve covers. Our is a 1-6-66 built car and when I bought it, believe the PO had replaced a valve cover gasket and pitched it or forgot to re-attach it. I have the drivers side one and the 2 original screws to fasten it down to the valve cover tab mount (much different config too). These extension brackets basically served to keep the wire up off the air logs on each side. Was at a show yesterday in Port Orchard, WA and there were 2 guys that actually knew what I was talking about, or so they thought...tough little part to find though. Saw one on eBay last year but you had to buy the guy's whole thermactor setup to get it. Anyway, it's maybe likely also that I should post this in the parts wanted area too. Just haven't wanted to bug anyone over something so small and maybe not often used. This is yet another of those disadvantages of not living down there in Ventura any longer...away from all the thermactor equipped cars I used to see alot more often.
Thanks again!

-Lance
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 07:37:54 PM »
............... There is one (and I really mean "only one") piece that I'm missing for our entire system and that is this, unique to SJ 66, spark plug wire extention bracket that is used on the passenger side of the car. ............

Here is a small collection of different spark plug wire relocators for illustration purposes. The one black one was not originally black ;)

Have collected some pieces over the year since they have been popular with the concours set and owners out of state are often looking for pieces. Do agree the 66 one is the most difficult to find - especially when your looking for one

Jeff Speegle

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »
Man, you're fast Jeff! The one on the right is it, call it #4 from left to right in your photo. #2 is the correct drivers side one I mentioned that was the only one present. If you're interested in selling that little rarity and breaking up this nice collection, I'm you're indebted man for said sale! But that is most definitly the one referenced in Bob's book. Very nice and thank you regardless!

-Lance
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options