Author Topic: Panduit ties on GT 350 PS lines  (Read 2940 times)

Offline ruppstang

Panduit ties on GT 350 PS lines
« on: April 19, 2021, 08:24:03 PM »
Does anyone have a picture or diagram of the panduit ties that retain the power steering lines below the voltage regulator for a GT350? Built 02-12-67

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Panduit ties on GT 350 PS lines
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 07:14:12 PM »
I looked through what I have and came up without any examples. Lots of bad angles, washer bottles in the way or no ties any longer
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 08:42:56 PM »
I looked through what I have and came up without any examples. Lots of bad angles, washer bottles in the way or no ties any longer

Thanks for looking. I looked through the 68 Shelby assembly manual and found no help there. I am hoping Pete will know.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 12:09:24 PM »
I have seen them on the big block block oil cooler lines, but will have to look through pictures to see if they were used on power steering?

If so, I would guess they are the same ones used in the trunk. They have the arrow head attached, but they wouldnt be anchored to anything.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 12:44:04 PM »
I have seen them on the big block block oil cooler lines, but will have to look through pictures to see if they were used on power steering?

If so, I would guess they are the same ones used in the trunk. They have the arrow head attached, but they wouldnt be anchored to anything.
For PS I have seen them on both 67 and 68 but were not used extensively in ether year from my observations.  In most cases I only saw impression left in hose after zip tie broke off. I think they were only used as needed in that location.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 09:09:34 PM »
Thank you guys. It perplexes me that I was deducted at a Shelby show in division two for such a obscure item that few know much about it.  I am always happy to learn new things about our cars so I can improve our car. This just seems like a Tbred thing. 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 10:31:28 PM »
Thank you guys. It perplexes me that I was deducted at a Shelby show in division two for such a obscure item that few know much about it.  I am always happy to learn new things about our cars so I can improve our car. This just seems like a Tbred thing.
Tbred thing or trailered concours would be held to the same standard in this case IMO. I don't know the circumstances and do not know if there were impressions in the hoses that would make the judges think this was supposed to be done on your car or not. If no impression in your hose then maybe they thought it was done on all the 68 GT350's . It is just guessing at this point . If that is not the case and since there is nothing that can be done about it now I would just chalk it up against the things that were wrong that they didn't deduct for and move on. Possibly something you want to make note of in your documentation folder to explain to the judges next time at the beginning before judging to confirm so that everyone is on the same page.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 12:51:38 AM »
Do not get me wrong I am grateful for those that judged our car. I just want to be sure I am doing things correctly by adding or changing the things they said were incorrect or missing. That is why I posted here to get correct information and move forward. I still have no idea of where the ties would go and why they were used. So I will do nothing for now. BTW there are no marks on the hoses they are new.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 01:43:30 AM »
Do not get me wrong I am grateful for those that judged our car. I just want to be sure I am doing things correctly by adding or changing the things they said were incorrect or missing. That is why I posted here to get correct information and move forward. I still have no idea of where the ties would go and why they were used. So I will do nothing for now. BTW there are no marks on the hoses they are new.
I think that is a good strategy given the circumstances.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 08:50:52 AM »
You are going about it the correct way,

Don't ever change anything because of one judge or event. You will be chasing your tail. When I judged, I always tried to make that clear. Next event, you will be cutting them off.

It is an inherent issue with judging, the knowledge level of the judges and inconsistency.

Do your own research. Make your decisions
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 11:00:58 AM by Coralsnake »

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 10:21:55 PM »
 Have not seen ties on 350 only bb oil lines. Also haven?t seen panduit strap on 68 Shelby only ones like Pete described or conventional style zip ties  An often overlooked tie is around the wires as they exit console. Also not always but sometimes one seen tying ammeter wires to tilt hose by firewall
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 09:16:54 AM »
Have not seen ties on 350 only bb oil lines. Also haven?t seen panduit strap on 68 Shelby only ones like Pete described or conventional style zip ties  An often overlooked tie is around the wires as they exit console. Also not always but sometimes one seen tying ammeter wires to tilt hose by firewall

Thank You Tim