1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 - 70 Shelby

Space Saver Spare Tire Felt

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: ninedrvr on November 05, 2022, 11:13:16 AM ---

Another question I have is about where the line is drawn for judging. Why is the spare decal considered "NOT original" when it was a modification that was given by the manufacturer? That makes me think that the GT500 fuel vapor recall/campaign should also be considered not original. I don't think the GT500s  come out of Dearborn that way.

--- End quote ---
In concours judging the car is expected to look like it was when delivered to the first customer. In the case of these particular stickers they were not applied from the factory or dealer prior to delivery. The stickers didn't come out until around 1971. That is when they were sent to owners and also when dealers started to apply them if the car went in for service. Supposed to that is if they even remembered to do so. Not many cars came with space savers then.

Bob Gaines:
The caution fan sticker was sent out in the mail to owners too. It was being retrofitted to the fan shrouds about the same time but unlike the space saver in the case of dealer service it was under the hood which was the place most Mustang service took place so more frequently done. That is if they remembered that they were supposed to add the sticker. 

ninedrvr:
So would a GT500 lose points if they had the fuel vapor line installed?

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: ninedrvr on November 05, 2022, 11:13:16 AM ---..... I don't think the GT500s  come out of Dearborn that way.

--- End quote ---

Just asking but what do you base that statement on?  That all GT500's were later modified after they left AO Smith

--- Quote from: ninedrvr on November 05, 2022, 12:59:52 PM ---So would a GT500 lose points if they had the fuel vapor line installed?

--- End quote ---

If the conversation has changed from what was original to how cars are judged, what class and organization are you asking about?

ninedrvr:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 05, 2022, 12:41:36 PM ---In concours judging the car is expected to look like it was when delivered to the first customer...

--- End quote ---

I'm just curious whether this expectation would extend to things like the fuel vapor line and the riveted wheels. Neither would have been on an early 69 Shelby. Would these cars with the recall wheels and the vapor line be considered correct in concours judging?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version