Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

How to get the correct interior paint sheen with activated paint from a gun?

(1/1)

jtfx6552:
PPG DBI appears to me to have the perfect sheen (when unactivated).

For durability I'd prefer to activate it, as unactivated it's easily scuffed and will come off fairly easily. I know that from moving around some doors that I had painted.

According to the PPG tech sheet, activation is optional, but supposedly will increase the shine, which I don't want, but possibly would still be acceptable.

Diamont interior paint is meant to be activated, has anybody used it? How'd the sheen turn out?

Picture of unactivated DBI for reference.

jtfx6552:
I painted my dash and a pillars with activated DBI. Looked a little shiny compared to what I think was typical, but it's really hard to tell. I had some sanding marks that showed through so I had to redo it no matter what. I took the opportunity to spray some matte clear on it as that would cover the sanding marks. It did do cover the sanding marks, but I think it's a little too flat. Is there a way to quantify sheen? Is there a way to order paint with the correct sheen? The rattle can stuff looks right to me, but It's not very durable.

I need to figure out what I'm doing next. In order to spray the clear I had to shoot in DBI's recoat window and it's possible the sheen on the activated DBI would have gone down a little more and been more to my liking. So I'm not sure if I should try that again, or try to find some slightly shinier clear by tomorrow before the recoat window on this recently shot clear closes, or live with it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version