Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

1967 Dark Saddle Dash Pad

<< < (2/2)

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: mtinkham on January 08, 2024, 02:07:48 PM ---Over the weekend I picked up an original dash pad in Dark Saddle. This dash pad was removed from a car back in the late 70's early 80's because the owner wanted a black interior. The dash pad is soft and crack free. The only defect it has is one of the threaded studs is missing.

What should I do to preserve the soft vinyl?

--- End quote ---
Since we were talking before about changing the color or even bringing back a faded color , If the pad is dyed/painted then that application will keep any preservatives from getting to the vinyl underneath. I am not aware of much you can do at that point other then keeping it away from florescent lighting .

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 08, 2024, 02:39:30 PM ---Since we were talking before about changing the color or even bringing back a faded color , If the pad is dyed/painted then that application will keep any preservatives from getting to the vinyl underneath. I am not aware of much you can do at that point other then keeping it away from florescent lighting .

--- End quote ---

And direct sunlight  ;)

mtinkham:
Thank you both. My original inquiry was about painting/dyeing a new pad because dark saddle is no longer available.

Because I found an original pad in the correct color for my car, the focus is now on preserving. Should I have started a new topic?

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: mtinkham on January 08, 2024, 07:48:49 PM ---Thank you both. My original inquiry was about painting/dyeing a new pad because dark saddle is no longer available.

Because I found an original pad in the correct color for my car, the focus is now on preserving. Should I have started a new topic?

--- End quote ---

Would be a good idea since your looking to change focus. Since the new subject is not year specific and preserving an original dash pad can apply to almost all years I would not put a specific year in the title and just post it here under the general Interior section.

jwc66k:
It's also good to know what not to use in "restoring", "repairing", or "cleaning" an original dash pad. Don't use any solvent based cleaner: acetone, thinner, alcohol, etc. I've used a couple of them to get a stain off, but wiped the liquid off in a minute or less, and then washed with a spray cleaner (409, etc). "Armor-All" was another one. I'll say - "mixed results", and let the user "beware". On my shelf is a container of "saddle soap". I think that's what I used (about 15-20 years ago).
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version