Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

67 Ash Tray Finish and Rivet Question

(1/4) > >>

bwross:
Greetings all,
On the coupe that I'm refurbishing the ashtray inner assembly (where the lighter resides) and it has been painted and smoke stained over the years.  I'm thinking that originally this area was just the natural metal appearance; can anyone confirm this assumption?

Likewise the actual ashtray; the exterior piece would be the dash color but what about the inner structure where the ashes landed.....natural metal appearance?

thanks,
Bruce

ruppstang:
It was plated silver zinc the same as the inner part that receives it.
marty

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: ruppstang on August 16, 2014, 06:51:03 PM ---It was plated silver zinc the same as the inner part that receives it.
marty

--- End quote ---

+1 :)

bwross:
Thanks for the reply Marty.  I guess at this point the big question is how do I get the assembly back to looking like it did at the factory?

Bruce

ruppstang:
The only way I know is to drill out the rivets and replate  the ashtray. The difficult part is installing the new tubular rivets as it takes a special tool to compress them evenly. There are those on this forum that have that tool. A different option would be to look for a original ash tray from a non smoker and repaint the front to your color.
Good luck Marty

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version