Author Topic: '69-'70 driver remote mirror repair  (Read 572 times)

Offline rare70cat

'69-'70 driver remote mirror repair
« on: November 01, 2023, 05:09:54 PM »
my driver remote "stick/knob" was broken off. Nobody has the knob I could find AND the tension on the mirror was bad. Mirror moved around without moving the knob. Here's some pics of my fix. First, I had to source a good mirror/chrome knob on feebay 1. I took a knife and cut through the mastic on the back of the mirror to expose the attachment for the wire. I then took a 1/16 drill bit and drilled carefully beside each cable three times. Then took a diamond Dremel tool and filed the three edges off for all three locations. I was then able to pulled the cable through the hole which took the tension off all the cables and was able to remove the little aluminum bracket on the back. Went to Ace Hardware and found three #2.5 flat washers. Cut one side of the flat washer and spread the washer just enough for the tiny cable to go through. I then cut off the remote end of my old cable, slid the protective sleeve off and pulled the old mirror and cables out of the housing. I then taped the ends of the new cable to feed back through the hole and out from inside the mirror housing. Both the black metal plate base and the aluminum bar have "G,R & Y" marked in the housing. The cables still have a faint color of red, green and yellow so putting them back in the right location is easy. Push the cable through the back and slid a flat washer with slit over the cable and flatten out the "spread" in the flat washer. Do it for all three. After, you can put the aluminum bar back on the cables. Put a little grease on the pivot and the two alignment pins. I then taped the base up to the mirror so it was level and put some JB weld on the ends of the cable to help make sure the cables didn't come loose. Here's some pics.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 07:17:23 PM by rare70cat »

Offline rare70cat

Re: '69-'70 driver remote mirror repair
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 05:11:04 PM »
More pics

Offline rare70cat

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 05:11:34 PM »
More pics.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 05:59:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Hopefully others sill benefit from your efforts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rare70cat

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 07:14:40 PM »
I saw another post on Mustangforum where someone took apart the '69 cables at the remote. The toughest part of that is overcoming the tension of the cables from the spring underneath the chrome knob. I originally started to try that and realized I could easily break the knob which would put me back at square one. The next best was what I did in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 10:20:52 PM by rare70cat »