Author Topic: '91 GT - Performance Suspension/Steering?  (Read 3413 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'91 GT - Performance Suspension/Steering?
« on: January 28, 2023, 08:08:54 AM »
I'm working on a '91 Mustang GT with a very leaky rack and pinion.  I'm having trouble figuring out which remanufactured rack and pinion to order for this car.  The original rack and pinion on this car has already been replaced with a Duralast unit from 2012.  I can't seem to reference any of the numbers on this rack to determine what the specs are.

I know that there are two main suppliers of rack and pinions: TRW and Ford.  What I don't know is whether this car is considered "performance suspension," which would have gotten the quicker ratio steering.  I read somewhere that all GT models are considered performance suspension cars, but can't verify that for sure.  I have the Marti Report for this '91 and there's nothing on there about performance suspension.  Does anyone know which version rack this car would've come with new?  Thanks!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline BobV

Re: '91 GT - Performance Suspension/Steering?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 09:35:07 AM »
Std suspension is 3 turns lock-to-lock, performance is 2.5 turns.
I believe all GT cars were quick ratio..
1986 Saleen Mustang
51k miles 98% original

Offline KevinK

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 11:06:35 PM »
I believe all 5.0 cars got the same suspension from 86 to 93, GT or lx. The wheel upgrade was included as well.  Lx or GT may have different but larger wheels/tires, aka 10 holes at a min.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 06:37:10 PM »
I believe all 5.0 cars got the same suspension from 86 to 93, GT or lx. The wheel upgrade was included as well.  Lx or GT may have different but larger wheels/tires, aka 10 holes at a min.

Std suspension is 3 turns lock-to-lock, performance is 2.5 turns.
I believe all GT cars were quick ratio..

Thank you for the help.

Offline Scode67FB

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 02:54:12 AM »
I have a NOS Mustang rack that Ford sold through its "Motorsports" program years ago, if you're interested. I'm in California, so I'm sure shipping would be expensive, but if you're interested, let me know.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 06:53:28 PM »
I have a NOS Mustang rack that Ford sold through its "Motorsports" program years ago, if you're interested. I'm in California, so I'm sure shipping would be expensive, but if you're interested, let me know.

Thanks, but I'm going to settle for a remanufactured rack at this point.  I'm not sure if this car is a "keeper."  If it was, I'd take you up on that.  Thanks for mentioning it though!