Author Topic: Engine Compartment Miscl phophating  (Read 4280 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Engine Compartment Miscl phophating
« on: October 15, 2010, 09:48:38 PM »
I think I got a list put together of all the things that should get phoshated finish but please confirm and add to list if I missed something

Hood springs
Hood latch assemby
shock tower perches
throttle linkage from carb to firewall accelerator pedal bell crank
firewall accelerator pedal bell crank

Anything else?

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine Compartment Miscl phophating
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 07:09:43 AM »
Certainly are a lot of bolts as well but off the top of my head,
hood latch striker
hood hinges
j clips
ps pump spacer
battery bolts

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 10:34:38 AM »
T, thanks for the response. When I said hood springs I meant the entire spring/hinge assembly. Regarding the hood latch I thought the striker bar was a gold cad. I'm not sure what you mean by j clips. Ps spacer self explanatory but the battery bolts you refer to are the 2 hooked bolts which go to the cross bar above? The rest of my initial list looks correct? What specific component bolts are you referring to in Your statement? Thanks again.

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:43:47 AM »
we don't see zinc dichromate (what you call gold cad) until 69 on hood latch strikers. As far as PH & oil hardware under the hood there is to much to mention, everything from motor mount bolts to steering box and fan shroud, and so on. J clips are the spring metal clips bolts/screws go into in lieu of nuts like fender bolts, fan shroud etc

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:05:41 AM »
T, ok now I understand what the j clip is. My fenders and miscl clips are all zinc dichromate as is the hood strike bar. I guess when I started this restoration 26 years ago this was the acceptable finish back then. Must have changed over the years.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 11:05:36 AM »
we don't see zinc dichromate (what you call gold cad) until 69 on hood latch strikers. As far as PH & oil hardware under the hood there is to much to mention, everything from motor mount bolts to steering box and fan shroud, and so on. J clips are the spring metal clips bolts/screws go into in lieu of nuts like fender bolts, fan shroud etc
I thought I would add to Tim's very descriptive post that most 69 strikers were zinc phosphate and changed in very late 69 production to the Gold. No 69/70 Shelby's should have the gold. I thought I would head off the stampeded for any 69/70 Shelby reading.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »
The problem can be that unless your specific as to year and plant you can run into problems IMHO describing all the finishes correctly.

One example would be your shock tower "perches". I'm guessing you describing what I would call the front shock upper mounts. If that is so it depended on where the car was built and what year.

For example 64-66 all plants were painting them black. While starting in 67 NJ and Dearborn were phosphating them, and San Jose (or more correctly the company supplying that plant) continued to paint them black. Them starting in 71 they were all phosphated since San Jose stopped Mustang production. 

Big subject - lots of little details ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 08:42:24 PM »
Since this is a deArborn July 68 production sounds like the shock perches are phosphate. If I add the strike the rest of the components I listed sound ok except a lot of fasteners not accounted for. Is there someplace I can turn for a list of fastener finished for a Dearborn car?

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 09:58:31 PM »
I don't think you will find any single fastener list due to the many variations between plants and models and process changes during the year.  I will, however, offer what I have done thus far for what its worth.  First I created a spreadsheet of all of the fasteners.  Then I scoured the Osborn manuals to find out what is called for there.  That is a pretty decent starting point since 99% of the fasteners listed include the finish.  After that I read through many forum postings, primarily here, but elsewhere also, filling in some of the blanks (you won't find everything in the Osborn manuals) and sometimes changing the base Osborn spreadsheet entries (since the Osborn manuals represent from what I understand to be the last revision of the drawing, not necessarily when my (or your) car was made.)  Then I went to the MCA member site and looked at the latest rules.  However, if I recall there is very little if anything said about fasteners; it is limited more to larger items such as the front shock upper mounts, probably due to the what seems to be unlimited variations.  Then I have taken any confusion, conflict, and missing information and asked very specific questions on this web site.  Everything that I've asked has been answered thus far! But there is more to come over the next few months ;) Good luck, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 11:43:08 PM »
.......... changing the base Osborn spreadsheet entries (since the Osborn manuals represent from what I understand to be the last revision of the drawing, not necessarily when my (or your) car was made.)  Then I went to the MCA member site and looked at the latest rules. ..............

John the drawings Jim Osborn included in the manuals were simply the best (easiest to make out as most of what he had to work with had bug, mold or water damage) not the last version. We discussed putting these manuals together a number of times before his death. He was a great assest to the hobby and a good friend
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 07:31:57 AM »
Jeff,

Thanks for the clarification on the Osborn collection of drawings. 

Do you see any flaws in or have any recommended improvements to the process that I'm following to determine proper finishes?

John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 01:10:46 AM »
Do you see any flaws in or have any recommended improvements to the process that I'm following to determine proper finishes?

single fastener list due to the many variations between plants and models and process changes during the year.  I will, however, offer what I have done thus far for what its worth.  First I created a spreadsheet of all of the fasteners.  Then I scoured the Osborn manuals to find out what is called for there.  That is a pretty decent starting point since 99% of the fasteners listed include the finish.  After that I read through many forum postings, primarily here, but elsewhere also, filling in some of the blanks (you won't find everything in the Osborn manuals) and sometimes changing the base Osborn spreadsheet entries (since the Osborn manuals represent from what I understand to be the last revision of the drawing, not necessarily when my (or your) car was made.)  Then I went to the MCA member site and looked at the latest rules.  However, if I recall there is very little if anything said about fasteners; it is limited more to larger items such as the front shock upper mounts, probably due to the what seems to be unlimited variations.  Then I have taken any confusion, conflict, and missing information and asked very specific questions on this web site.

I would say its a decent start though your plan will not allow you to discover finishes that are different (between plants or periods during production) unless you discover a conflict. This may lead to some particularly incorrect information in the final product

I assume that you are using the Hardware and Utility Manual (that is at least what it was called in the 30-40's) as a cross reference and a text to help you describe the specifics (size, type, ......) of each piece if your interested in include that info

http://amkproducts.com/Ford_fastener_book.asp

Max (AMK) reformatted one of these and published it a number of years ago. Think they are still available

Believe we are getting off subject by this point ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:15:31 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle