Author Topic: RADIO electronic repairs needed. 67 model AM/8-Track  (Read 1482 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
RADIO electronic repairs needed. 67 model AM/8-Track
« on: May 31, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »
My 67 AM 8-track works very well on only one speaker (left side) in all functions, even the 8-track works as good as they ever did new.

The right side plays but is "muffled" sounding,  telling me that something is wrong with the AMP for that circuit.
I bought an original Motorola service manual for it but I  am lost reading through it to see what and where to go inside to fix it (I even understand most schematics, but these circuits are so absolutely buried in the case behind soldered-in panels and such that I do not wish to harm it further)

Somebody knows somebody who has done this. I do not wish to simply send it out to just "anybody" with a soldering gun. Again, I have the original manual but need a reputable refferal please.

I will need to have the exterior wiring replaced too, I have a donor radio or 3 for parts needed.

Thanks, Richard
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:52:21 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

Re: RADIO electronic repairs needed. 67 model AM/8-Track
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 12:02:32 PM »
The right side plays but is "muffled" sounding,  telling me that something is wrong with the AMP for that circuit.
Not necessarily. It could be the speaker. Swap the two.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
Not necessarily. It could be the speaker. Swap the two.
Jim

Nope, it is definately the radio. I've bench tested it with different speakers and a different dash harness (never been tested with a "trial-by-error" method, always with plug-n-play wiring) so even the door harnesses have been by-passed by plugging new, direct-fit speakers into the dash wiring. Switching speakers side to side and the same side doesn't work.  The wiring has been proven with other working stereo units, no chance of a problem there.

Thanks! Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Dudley

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
I have no recommendation, but your question brought back memories of the problems with 8 tracks. The first tape that I bought should have taught me , but I didn't take the hint. The tape played fine the first time through , but then the tape flipped inside and then played the backside of the tape which came out the speakers as very muffled, low volume and playing two songs at once (the tape being flipped, the tracks did not align properly). I thought it was the tape player so I took it back for a replacement unit, which then I found it was the tape. Second, since the tape was a continuous loop and spliced together at the ends with adhesive tape, the adhesive tape would dry out and separate the ends making the tape useless. I was able to repair some tapes depending upon the plastic cartridge assembly methods (some had screws to joint the 2 halves, others had plastic clips, and the rest were plastic welded and would break if pried apart).

I still have the optional insert for the 8 track players to convert to playing cassettes, though I no longer have an 8 track player.

I wish you success.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 07:26:32 PM by Dudley »
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser