Author Topic: Wheel weights  (Read 753 times)

Offline KevinK

Wheel weights
« on: October 24, 2023, 01:27:12 PM »
Anyone seen a problem with new wheel weights falling off? They do not seem to sit flush to the steel wheel. Outside seems worse than inside. Will try to post a photo.

Photo added. 67 KH wheels.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 03:57:38 PM by KevinK »
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Online jwc66k

Re: Wheel weights
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 01:58:31 PM »
The only fit problem with wheel weights I've encountered was with "mags". I've never had a problem with "steel wheels" supplied with a Ford product.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 02:44:38 AM »
Those are probably the wrong wheel weights that someone used.  Thats not going to stay in place if you drive it. 
There is different style wheel weights and different shapes and materials that tire places use so just need to get the correct ones.  The place I use here in Phoenix is an old private owned shop and they are more experienced with the different weights.
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline 70-Conv_4sp

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 01:32:06 AM »
I have saved a few weights over the years to use to balance my 70 Cougar wheels, when the time comes, what size do you need, if I have extras I will send them to you.
I have had them lying around for years, my Cougar is in it's 45th year of restoration, (haha) i.e. parked in the garage and not touched. you can email me at kcorwin@pacbell.net

70_Conv_4sp

Offline KevinK

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 11:41:45 PM »
I was at SEMA last week and asked one of the wheel weight vendors about this.  Turns out there are some 8 different variations in clip on wheel weights.  I scored this handy gauge.
-P type seems to match up to my refurbished OEM 1989 10 hole aluminum wheel. 
-I have not checked a Ford steel wheel yet but I imagine it out be a T type.

I have been collecting weights for the past few years thinking there was an issue with getting lead weights.  From what I have read, lead weights are still being used.  Some are epoxy painted.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 01:57:22 AM »
Type P would be the most common for steel wheels from what is being made today - just as an added note. 
For the early cars (first generation Mustangs) I put together this article that shows what was original:

https://anghelrestorations.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Wheel-Weights-v1.0.pdf

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations