Author Topic: 1965 GT Coupe  (Read 3129 times)

Offline 65GTCoupe

1965 GT Coupe
« on: August 03, 2019, 05:01:03 PM »
This is a rare opportunity to purchase a fully documented, factory GT car. The original window sticker, owner’s manual, warranty card. I even have the hand written dealer’s order sheet from when the car was ordered by Harold and Helen Poole at Holmes-Tuttle Ford on May 1, 1965. As detailed in the window sticker, the Poole’s checked off almost every option available that year. Interestingly, they didn’t opt for the sporty rally-pac and styled steel wheels with their GT package, instead taking a luxury approach with a vinyl top, power steering, pony interior, console, and the necessary air conditioning and tinted glass for Southern Arizona. The Poole’s had only one oversight on the order sheet the first day of May, the wheels. That was rectified at the dealership with the addition of wire wheels covers when they took delivery on May 26, 1965.
Unfortunately, the Mustang spent only the first 5 years of it’s life in Arizona, having gone to the less friendly climate of Northern Virginia then on to the even less friendly climate of Southwestern Michigan. This car is a restoration project that needs all of the major Mustang rust repairs. I have attached pictures of issue areas, and would be happy to send any specific pictures upon request.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N7AToTjGGh85yGfLE4OJzmEFkUUX-1QR
Whether it was the best approach or not, I removed everything from the car for the rust repair. It currently sits on jack stands, ready to begin that process. Obviously this is a project, but it is a completely numbers matching, documented factory GT. Engine, transmission, and rear differential. If this was a 6 cyl. or a C-code Mustang, it wouldn’t be worth the effort and expense. I hope in posting here is that I can find another enthusiasts to take on this project. This car deserves to be restored. There just aren’t that many documented 1965 GT’s left.
Because the car is completely disassembled and in need of total restoration, the asking price is $5,000. I would appreciate honest feedback and constructive criticism via a PM.

Justin Collier
(314) 368-3673

Offline steve_f

Re: 1965 GT Coupe
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 06:53:35 PM »
Justin,
Your car has a scheduled build date 2 days after mine (15S vs 17S) and it was sold two days after mine (5/24 vs 5/26) at the same Arizona Ford dealer! Love all your paperwork. I only have the sales and warranty card info for mine. Good luck with your sale.
Steve
Steve
1965 (15S) San Jose Mustang GT Fastback (sold)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 07:10:30 PM »
Yours was built six days (11S) after my 65 GT Fastback. Mine stayed in California. I also have the window sticker, owner's manual, dealer invoice (a $300 discount), original floor mats.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 65GTCoupe

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 05:45:35 PM »
Steve,
That's pretty cool!
Sounds like mine would be the perfect stablemate for yours.  ;D
I guess that indicates that San Jose was producing Mustangs pretty close to scheduled build dates in mid-May 1965.

As the ad states, the goal is find a good home for the car. Obviously, I have to get something out of it, and I'm definitely not making money, but the market will only going to bear a certain price. If anyone has feedback, negative or positive, I'd appreciate it. I will take no offense in honesty.

Justin

Offline 65GTCoupe

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 01:22:18 PM »
Per forum rules I posted a price. However, if anyone is genuinely interested, shoot me an offer. It's time to reclaim garage and basement space.

Offline 65GTCoupe

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 11:15:11 AM »
The car has been sold.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 11:34:13 AM »
Congrats. Hopefully the new owner restores it to its former self and maybe documents it.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe