Author Topic: Export Brace repro/original  (Read 6004 times)

Offline Benstang

Export Brace repro/original
« on: April 19, 2018, 05:49:40 AM »
Hey

I know it has been discussed all over a lot of times but:

A lot of people claim that the new repro Scott drake Export brace ( https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/07041333.html ) is a perfect match to the original.

They say that over time shock towers bend in and because of that you have often to push them back out before you can install the export brace.

I believe the stock measurement between: inner shock cap bolt to inner shock cap bolt  ( center to center) should measure 30,5”

My car is almost right on spot to that measurement.

The scott drake peace is almost 0,65 “ off. (Beside the bolts at the cowel vents are off too.)

I just don’t think that all the cars have to be treated like this : ( )

I could imagine that a car is off maybe 0,1” and with jack stands you can move that.. but 0,65”.. no way..

How many people have ruined their cars like that to "make the repro part fit??"

Does anyone have an original piece an can give me some measurements?

Thanks for your help.

Ben

Offline rodster

Re: Export Brace repro/original
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 02:11:47 PM »
Something I've always wondered about and will be anxious to hear what experienced folks have to say.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline KevinK

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 03:48:42 PM »
I have asked around a bit but have not gotten a straight answer. I bought a Ford one back in 83 and put it on my 69 after having the frame aligned. I would like to put one on my 67.

I think there were issues with the repros back in the 90s.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 05:02:01 PM »
My original 67 export brace is 30 3/4. It's off the car so it's easy to measure.
I just bought a repop of unknown vintage at a swap meet and it's 30 1/2.
It's a later repop that looks very close to an original.
The first repops had very lazy ribs, so they are easy to spot.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:20:59 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 05:58:11 PM »
I have been very pleased with the export braces that Virginia Mustang sells now as their best quality. They have been pretty exact compared to a original from what I have found . They fit as original. They look as original . I have had dozens and dozens of the vintage OEM type over the years as a basis for my evaluation. Yes earlier repro attempts, and there are many look substantially different . Even later Ford service versions looked just as horribly bad. As has been mentioned you can typically tell the difference between a repro or later Ford service by the folds or ribs of metal . Lazy is a good way to describe because they are not as crisp or sharp in the bends. I would have no problem trusting the best export brace version that Brant sells . Check with him on source if you like. If it doesn't fit using that or a vintage OEM brace then it is more then likely a little metal fatigue and movement more so then a faulty piece IMO from what I have seen. It is easy to blame a repo part fit over OEM and rightly so but not in this case using the superior repro part that Brant sells from my experience. FYI I have found slight variations between vintage OEM braces compared to each before but nothing that caused a issue. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 06:01:38 PM »
Hey

I know it has been discussed all over a lot of times but:

A lot of people claim that the new repro Scott drake Export brace ( https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/07041333.html ) is a perfect match to the original.

They say that over time shock towers bend in and because of that you have often to push them back out before you can install the export brace.

I believe the stock measurement between: inner shock cap bolt to inner shock cap bolt  ( center to center) should measure 30,5”

My car is almost right on spot to that measurement.

The scott drake peace is almost 0,65 “ off. (Beside the bolts at the cowel vents are off too.)

I just don’t think that all the cars have to be treated like this : ( )

I could imagine that a car is off maybe 0,1” and with jack stands you can move that.. but 0,65”.. no way..

How many people have ruined their cars like that to "make the repro part fit??"

Does anyone have an original piece an can give me some measurements?

Thanks for your help.

Ben
Way . Seen it before just like the video. It is more common with bigblock vs small block .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 08:26:16 PM »
The bare one is real and came off the Shelby.
The black one came from a swap meet and looks very, very close.
I weighed them on a digital scale and they are both the same weight, down to the tenth.

The black one looks convincing. No idea who made it. Ford?
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 11:14:31 PM »
The bare one is real and came off the Shelby.
The black one came from a swap meet and looks very, very close.
I weighed them on a digital scale and they are both the same weight, down to the tenth.

The black one looks convincing. No idea who made it. Ford?
Any reason to believe Ford didn't make it?

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 12:02:36 AM »
I've seen the early, horrible repops and they are easy. I think Ed M. said he could spot one from 20 feet.

I thought there were some "tells" on even the later, good repops.

Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 12:52:33 AM »
I've seen the early, horrible repops and they are easy. I think Ed M. said he could spot one from 20 feet.

I thought there were some "tells" on even the later, good repops.
Yes the poor repros and some of the Ford service braces are easy to spot. The good repro braces have only been out for about 5 years I think.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 01:27:38 AM »
I have read on this site there are some variations in the Ford export brace. I just picked up a used 67-70 unit with 4 bolt holes. Were these marked by Ford and date coded? I have not seen this discussed.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 01:41:41 AM »
I have read on this site there are some variations in the Ford export brace. I just picked up a used 67-70 unit with 4 bolt holes. Were these marked by Ford and date coded? I have not seen this discussed.
All of the factory one piece export braces had 4 holes. Maybe you are confusing your mention of 4 holes with equal space holes used on 65/66 GT350 vs. non equal spaced like used on 67-68 Shelby and over the counter Ford.They were not marked by Ford or date coded. There are tells like thickness of metal and how the metal is formed into the shape of outside edges and inside stiffening ridges and valleys that typically indicate if repro or genuine. There are some modern well made repros that are extremely close in appearance with all original details.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 09:22:16 AM »
.65" sounds typical if not ideal. Stick it on and forget about it. I have not had any experience with the repros but the OEM ones are always that far off or worse. Typically we have to jack the front of the car and suspend it by jack stands near the rear of the front subframes to make the shock towers spread. My experience is limited to GT500 / GT500KR and other big block applications.

The shock tower bolts don't go straight up and down and the tops of the shock towers are not level with the cowl so there must be difficulty installing the shock tower brace if it is to fit properly when over the bolts.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 05:23:11 PM »

No there is no stamped Ford engineering number or markers mark on an original. Can't be certain these were made by Ford or by a subcontractor. For identification on the service part of Ford in the day a white paper sticker was typically applied to the top of the brace in the center (cowl) section with a black print Ford oval and part number
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 05:52:58 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 05:46:49 PM »
No there is no stamped Ford engineering number or markers mark on an original.
I bought 7 NOS Export braces from a local Ford dealer about 20 to 25 years ago. They all were identified with a "silver" label that had the Ford service stock number, C5ZZ-16A052-E (I think), FOMOCO and a date code. The material thickness at the mid point of the brace from the shock tower to the firewall on the inside edge should be 0.135 inch. Reproductions were a maximum of 0.125 inch at the same point. The material of the repros may have been "corrected" by now (or not). I don't believe Ford made a chrome plated version.
The nice thing about them is they are a great front end suspension support for driving, and are easily replaced by the stock pair for shows.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.