Author Topic: NOS or not?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline DTruitt

NOS or not?
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:33:42 AM »
I recently bought a pair of "NOS" door handles for a 67-68, the transaction was smooth and uneventful.  I am a little suspicious now... the handles I received do not have a Ford part #, casting # or, Ford, FoMoCo, etc. anywhere on them.  They simply have RH and LH cast into them.  They were in NOS boxes; but a lot of things could have changed in the last 21 years (date on box).

Does anyone have a "NOS" set to look at or know for sure as to how to identify a real NOS pair?  If you have a reproduction pair to look at that would be great too.

Danny 
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: NOS or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »
I recently bought a pair of "NOS" door handles for a 67-68, the transaction was smooth and uneventful.  I am a little suspicious now... the handles I received do not have a Ford part #, casting # or, Ford, FoMoCo, etc. anywhere on them.  They simply have RH and LH cast into them.  They were in NOS boxes; but a lot of things could have changed in the last 21 years (date on box).

Does anyone have a "NOS" set to look at or know for sure as to how to identify a real NOS pair?  If you have a reproduction pair to look at that would be great too.

Danny
Danny, all the various Ford ones I have seen NOS service and otherwise had the FORD trademark on them. That is what I look for in judging. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 04:06:54 PM »
Danny,

The easiest way to check is where the phillips tip screw goes into the door handle. The repops use a coarse thread whereas the original have a very fine thread. I don't have the actual thread pitch or count, but it is really obvious if you try to use an original screw.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:09:16 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll check the handle with an original screw.

Danny
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline craig429

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 01:10:25 PM »
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.
1969 Mustang Mach1 390
1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen

Offline slim

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »
AFAIK it's Ford design/engineering practice that die cast parts have the engineering number and Ford identification in the molds. Never, back to 1937 Fords I've worked on have I ever seen an exception.
68 Mustang vert. 289 2V, automatic, power disc brakes, power steering, factory AC.
Lime gold, black top with glass window. Standard black interior.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
AFAIK it's Ford design/engineering practice that die cast parts have the engineering number and Ford identification in the molds. Never, back to 1937 Fords I've worked on have I ever seen an exception.

Ever seen an engineering number or FoMoCo ID on a wood grain steering wheel collar base and top?   ;D
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 05:56:55 PM »
We also have the examples of parts like Tie rod ends, strut rods and center links - though they were likely provided by sub contractors to Ford's specifications
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)