Author Topic: Exahust system paint  (Read 2393 times)

Offline sparky65

Exahust system paint
« on: April 01, 2011, 11:51:14 AM »
I have been looking for original or NOS mufflers for some time now.  I have found a few NOS ones that I can afford but most seem to have lost there aluminized coating.  It seems to me my only options are to paint a NOS muffler or buy a repro.  How are those exhaust paints?  Any other methods of cleaning up the finish?
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Scott Fuller

• Scott Fuller Reproductions
Re: Exahust system paint
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:42:27 PM »
Unfortunately, once the aluminized coating is gone there isn't much that can be done.  If you paint it, it will look painted.  Finding an original muffler with a correct date for your car (assuming it is the Oct built 1967) would be a rare find in any condition. 

Scott
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com

Offline sparky65

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 10:54:36 PM »
Yea none of the ones I found had the correct date code.  I guess I should just buy a repro then since the date code and the finish is going to be wrong.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 04:58:56 PM »
Yea none of the ones I found had the correct date code.  I guess I should just buy a repro then since the date code and the finish is going to be wrong.
I definitly wouldnot consider the finish on Scotts mufflers as wrong . I give it my highest endorsement. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline sparky65

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 06:52:19 PM »
I definitly wouldnot consider the finish on Scotts mufflers as wrong . I give it my highest endorsement. Bob
Didn't mean to imply that the finish on Scotts mufflers was wrong rather that if I paint the NOS one it would be wrong.  I don't think Scott makes a muffler for a 6cyl but I could be wrong.  I think I have to get the one that Motive Industries makes for NPD.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 12:23:27 PM »
Didn't mean to imply that the finish on Scotts mufflers was wrong rather that if I paint the NOS one it would be wrong.  I don't think Scott makes a muffler for a 6cyl but I could be wrong.  I think I have to get the one that Motive Industries makes for NPD.
Thank you for taking the time to clarify for me. It sounds like the proverbial "catch 22" . If the NOS muffler is the later style with the Julian date code which indicates the number day of the year it was made(made after 1970) vs. the year ,month, day - date code like assemblyline and if the date was consistent with your car build would certainly be part of my decision process. If all the right things were there I would try and use the NOS muffler even if you have to doctor the finish. The other markings would the decision on a sliding scale of relevance IMHO in comparison to a new repro that you will have to determine which is best for you. Scott doesn't make a 6cyl muffler. The best of luck on your decision. Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby