Author Topic: Measurements for locating emergency brake idler bracket  (Read 5757 times)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Measurements for locating emergency brake idler bracket
« on: March 15, 2015, 09:34:58 PM »
I replaced the passenger floor on a 67 coupe.  The original floor had been previously repaired and someone welded the e-brake idler bracket possibly in the incorrect location.  Could someone provide me with some pictures showing the correct orientation and XY measurements to the crossmember and floor support to assist me in locating this bracket correctly?  To clarify, the bracket in question resides below the passenger's left foot.  The e-brake idler is hooked into this bracket.
The NJ coupe was built 6-1967

Thank you in advance.
Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Measurements for locating emergency brake idler bracket
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 12:17:49 AM »
This one?

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:47:35 AM »
This one?

Jeff, this is the drivers side. OP needs the other side. At this time I cannot upload any images or I would help. I may be able to provide measurements to somebody's picture though.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 05:30:41 AM »
Jeff, this is the drivers side. OP needs the other side.

That is why I asked ;)

Here you go - Hope one or both will help

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 06:05:23 AM »
That is why I asked ;)

Here you go - Hope one or both will help

That's the "right" stuff Jeff!

BTW, if anyone might need either or both of the two brackets (one welds to the left floorpan, one welds to the right side like the OP requested pictures of) and/or the arm that the adjuster bolt rod goes into on the drivers side, I have those three pieces from a parts lot I bought. PM me for details...available CHEAP. Extra junk to me might be valuable to you.

Richard

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »
Jeff, if you need physical measurements, my vehicle is up on jack stands for assembly. I will take them today if you'll let me know.

-Keith

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 01:20:25 PM »
Thank you everyone.  Jeff's second group of pictures shows the bracket in question.  From the second picture of the second group, it looks like the bracket weld flange is approximately 1/4" away from the flange of the floor support.

Keith, if you can provide measurements that would be excelllent.  I would need to verify my 1/4" estimate and also a measurement from the cross member back to the bracket.  Flange-to-flange measurements are sufficient.

Again, thank you.  I couldn't trust the work that was previously done on this car and new someone(s) here would come to the rescue!

Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »
Thank you everyone.  Jeff's second group of pictures shows the bracket in question.  From the second picture of the second group, it looks like the bracket weld flange is approximately 1/4" away from the flange of the floor support.

Keith, if you can provide measurements that would be excelllent.  I would need to verify my 1/4" estimate and also a measurement from the cross member back to the bracket.  Flange-to-flange measurements are sufficient.

Again, thank you.  I couldn't trust the work that was previously done on this car and new someone(s) here would come to the rescue!

Mark

Actually, think again about what the best measurement really is...Wouldn't it 1st be a triangulated measurement from the edge in the hole where the hook sets in place to the crossmember support, to the frame rail, then 2nd, rotating the bracket & aligning it to resemble the pictures and possibly matching the (mentioned estimated amount of 1/4" ) measurements last? I say this because if the bracket is distorted or if it is aftermarket, wouldn't it be best to get the emergency brake adjustment right more than matching what "looks right" by comparing is soley to another car? All of these together should easily confirm a correct measurement but it might be "at risk" if you use only a "distance from this edge to that edge" measurement.  I am not sure if I wrote this best to explain what I am thinking or not.
Richard Urch

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 02:03:43 PM »
67gtaSJ.  You are correct that would be a good measurement to have also...distance from floor support to the center of the hole where the hook goes.....but it would have been difficult for me to make that request without pictures or a sketch with dimension lines.  The bracket that I have does have "arc welds", so it does not have clean edges - but I can get it close.

Thanks,
Mark

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 06:49:01 PM »
Here is the picture and exact measurements from my 67 GT500. SJ Dec 66 manufacture.
I hope this helps. The measurement is 1 1/8" on the right hand from the rail to the corner, 1 5/8" from the crossmember and 3" from the intersecting corner of the crossmember/frame rail.

-Keith
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:51:51 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 08:17:43 PM »
Thank you...that picture is just what I need.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 08:32:23 PM »
Mark,
You're welcome. If you need anything else, let me know.

-Keith