Author Topic: FB Decklid Torsion Rod retainer  (Read 4561 times)

Offline jtfx6552

FB Decklid Torsion Rod retainer
« on: January 02, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »
What type of clip goes on the end? From the picture, it looks like whatever it was left the end of the rod free to get painted.

On the other side, where does the little clipped on piece of steel reside?

I found it interesting that the rod is body color over black, see where the center retainer was.

1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline rockhouse66

Re: FB Decklid Torsion Rod retainer
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 06:41:37 PM »
You need one of these, and if you find two, so do I.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 12:01:59 PM »
Here's some good info on the topic.  May be the reason your clip is MIA...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11812.msg71479#msg71479

The exact retaining clip is not reproduced.  However, someone sent me a link to a "similar" retaining clip that may be acceptable but for the life of me, I can't find the link.  I never followed through because you had to buy in bulk (60 count?).
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 01:17:35 PM »
Google "push nut". If someone has measurements they can post, we should be able to find a functional replacement (perhaps not a concours match though).
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 01:28:05 PM »
Google "push nut". If someone has measurements they can post, we should be able to find a functional replacement (perhaps not a concours match though).

They are out there (non correct ones) Have purchased them locally at a hardware store and on Amazon
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 02:13:27 PM »
If you find any with this oversize OD, let me know.  Push nuts like this are easy to find in the wrong diameter.  Not Concours!  :)
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 04:45:40 PM »
This has been covered -
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3764.msg20487#msg20487
In the words of my mentor - Jeff - the search feature is your friend.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 10:48:11 PM »
No offense, but the search feature here is the worst I've encountered on any major forum.

I did eventually find that thread, and this useful thread http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6231.0   by searching on google, but not by the search here.
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 12:29:00 AM »
I did eventually find that thread, and this useful thread http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6231.0   by searching on google, but not by the search here.
This has been covered -
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3764.msg20487#msg20487
You will find that the results of my research is included in both topics, and the results is - there is no source for an exact replacement retainer. Brant, at Virginia Mustang, is aware of this part needing to be reproduced and he is probably the one to do it, if possible.
And you are correct, the forum's search engine could use some help (hint). I use quotes around two or more words and that does work.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 07:42:03 AM »
No offense, but the search feature here is the worst I've encountered on any major forum.

Constructive criticism like this should never be a problem.  I also took note that you consider this a "major forum", which should be satisfying to those that put it together.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 10:54:26 AM »
Regarding the search, I'll be honest and say that we have done very little in customizing the site, mainly keeping it as simple as possible.  In the 6 or so years that we've been running, I can't think of more than a few times we had access issues, which were problems with the provider.

I've personally had good luck with search here.  Sometimes I forget to use it, but the times I do, can usually find what I'm looking for.

Guess I would have to put it this way... for a site with such a vast amount of information, free to anyone and with no advertising, I'd say there is very little to complain about.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Online 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 12:08:07 PM »

Guess I would have to put it this way... for a site with such a vast amount of information, free to anyone and with no advertising, I'd say there is very little to complain about.

I couldn't have said it any better than that! You NAILED it Charles!

Maybe if folks sent a couple (hundred) bucks regularly to help fund the costs, they might also have other "free" ideas that PREVENT charging people for this awesome service or having to cover the costs by having all of those spamming ads running in the background. If this comment speaks to you...maybe you have a few bucks at least to spare to help out. The times I look at contributions (see "donations" tab above), I rarely see much there. Administrators are probably funding things out of their own pockets and volunteering information ta-boot!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:31:49 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 07:35:40 PM »
Will say we've had some VERY GENEROUS supporters and want to take the opportunity to thank all that have helped over the years. For those we were here during the San Jose Picture project and helped out there it was a grand success - unlike I've seen any other site attempt and accomplish

There are times when I suggest that rather than have people pay me for something small or difficult to put a value on to instead to join and give a contribution of their choosing to the site but that has been my choice and mine alone

Just wanted to fill in some blanks

As for the search - never found one that works perfectly for me yet on any site. The machine never seems to be able to read my mind and fill in the blanks I've left.

Have found that if I can recall (normally can) who was participating in the discussion/thread that can help narrow things down with a subject.
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 08:12:44 PM »
I think it's a great forum, I do realize how much great information is here. However I do have a lot of trouble finding it. Even when I have found great information I know I'll need to reference later, I've taken to saving as webarchive or .pdf because I have had much trouble finding information a second time.

I'll take Jim's hint about quotes and see how that works.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 08:22:28 PM »
I think it's a great forum, I do realize how much great information is here. However I do have a lot of trouble finding it. Even when I have found great information I know I'll need to reference later, I've taken to saving as webarchive or .pdf because I have had much trouble finding information a second time

For many other sites I found if I book mark the page, give it a descriptive title and then organize the bookmarks by major subject. Of course this can get overwhelming  after 10 years or so of doing that.  But its a start and figure nothing is as easy as I would like. Think I've for 3-5,000 web pages bookmarked at this point. Who know how many of those sites are still active
Jeff Speegle