Author Topic: FB Decklid Torsion Rod retainer  (Read 4560 times)

Offline jtfx6552

Re: FB Decklid Torsion Rod retainer
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
I wanted to elaborate more. I am on many forums with many different interests. I was a moderator on another Mustang site whose focus was late models. Anyway, nothing drove me more nuts than those who didn't use the search function. Or seemingly may be blind as they'd start a new topic identical to one that was about 3 or 4 posts down on the front page. Because of that experience, I always try searching and I do get embarrassed here when someone points out a  thread devoted the exact topic I was looking for.

Anyway, any forum that has not one, but two, or now even three threads on a deck lid torsion rod retaining clip for just fastbacks, is certainly a major forum :-)
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2023, 05:20:02 PM »
& years later, I'm ready to paint my decklid and the torsion rod hinge combo. Never did get an answer to where this little clip should be? It's not very tight so I'm wondering if I should put it in a specific spot to leave a black spot underneath it or not? I could move it around between coats so I can put it wherever I want later.

http://s676.photobucket.com/user/jtfx6552/media/65%20Mustang%20Restoration/E101FF7D-E98E-4D01-8D42-FB2A5E70A2AA_zpssmvvjrn8.jpg.html
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2023, 05:42:24 PM »
pic link not working for me.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2023, 06:30:35 PM »
Being that there are at least three time dependent "variations", here's a few pictures to help you out.
Jim
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 06:34:36 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2023, 07:39:55 PM »
Seems the discussion got off thread with the search feature discussion  ::)

& years later, I'm ready to paint my decklid and the torsion rod hinge combo. Never did get an answer to where this little clip should be?

Given you have provided that you have a 65 Dearborn built fastback that was assigned an Oct 29 scheduled build date here are some original examples from that time period. Of course since we don't have real dates for the completion of any of these cars your car could have been built three weeks earlier or later. Because of it its more difficult to find a close match when compared to 67 and up cars. Here are some Dearborn examples I found. I held myself from using cars from other plants showing where and how far they were slipped on. Would likely result in clearer pictures but choose just Dearborn for now. Think it gives a general idea and confirmation. Of course the arms can move from side to side so the retainer does not always sit tight against the arm all of the time

Not sure of your cars VIN the pictures above range from 5F35xxxx, 5F36xxxx to a much later (Jan 65) 5F39xxxx

Pretty easy to install it as shown in the picture below - just slipped over the end and pushed far enough inward to meet the upright arm from the hinge, which given the production period would be a hinge with a dual thickness arm and a large tension rod hole for the plastic/nylon bushing

As far as leaving any area black ( in this case since the rod was black before it was installed and painted over) should not be needed since if you can see the black it should have been painted during the exterior color application. If they didn't cover well then you should have shadows on other areas also likely not just the rod

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2023, 07:54:37 PM »
That "retainer" has a part number - 380264-S2. It is NOT reproduced. (There's one in a bag on my desk that goes on my 66GTK Fastback).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2023, 11:56:59 AM »
Thank you for all the great pictures. I did manage to secure the proper clip for the end of the torsion rod from a member here.

I was preparing the setup for paint when I noticed this little clip "floating" along the rod. Sorry the picture link didn't work.  Does it have a special home along the rod? Or should I just let it float and paint the rod/torsion spring/hinges with the clip wherever it ends up with a black bare spot underneath?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2023, 04:22:35 PM »
Thank you for all the great pictures. I did manage to secure the proper clip for the end of the torsion rod from a member here.

I was preparing the setup for paint when I noticed this little clip "floating" along the rod. Sorry the picture link didn't work.  Does it have a special home along the rod? Or should I just let it float and paint the rod/torsion spring/hinges with the clip wherever it ends up with a black bare spot underneath?

Seen this a few times but not sure of the purpose or what it might be meant to communicate to someone. If you look closely in your picture I think it was originally positioned at the end its in the picture just to the right as it appears there is a shadow in the paint. This might have been one factory 's effort to retain the end of the rod in the cut out of the drivers side hinge while the worker wrestled with the other end an arm similar to the fix (the electrical clip) that we have found used at San Jose and a very few times at Dearborn in 65.  It appears that this was a pain, the rod coming out of the cut out, for workers at all plants and they were trying to figure out some way to make it easier
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2023, 06:48:22 PM »
Being that there are at least three time dependent "variations", here's a few pictures to help you out.
Jim

On the DS should the torsion spring that goes across be on the top, or the bottom. First two pictures in this post show it opposite ways?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2023, 07:16:02 PM »
On the DS should the torsion spring that goes across be on the top, or the bottom. First two pictures in this post show it opposite ways?

It appears to depend on when and where the car was built. And if done incorrectly its not going to hold the trunk lid open  or it will be impossible to  get the passenger side to line up do to the amount of torque.

Here's one installed for the application incorrectly as the owner has to use a piece of wood to hold the trunk lid open
Here are a few examples of Dearborn fastbacks from around you stated build period. October. With VINs in the 5F296xxx  -5F337xxx.

Did have a car 5T3637xx a little later build, a nice original car where it was reversed can't explain that or why it works on earlier cars than yours

Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2023, 08:59:27 PM »
I took a "documentation" video of the car at various stages of disassembly. I put documentation in quotes because it's a terrible video that rarely shows what I want to see. Plus it's on mini DV and I had lost the digitized version when I switched computers. So I bit the bullet and figured put how to hook the ancient camera to my new computer and re digitized it. I just barely caught the spring. It's hard to see with just a frame or two. but it definitely goes across from the "top" with the lid open.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2023, 03:13:47 PM »
I took a "documentation" video of the car at various stages of disassembly. I put documentation in quotes because it's a terrible video that rarely shows what I want to see. Plus it's on mini DV and I had lost the digitized version when I switched computers. So I bit the bullet and figured put how to hook the ancient camera to my new computer and re digitized it. I just barely caught the spring. It's hard to see with just a frame or two. but it definitely goes across from the "top" with the lid open.

So it looks like it was installed matching the bottom pictures in Reply #24. Using the orientation of the rod to the lower hinge bolt as a guide
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2023, 09:50:09 PM »
So it looks like it was installed matching the bottom pictures in Reply #24. Using the orientation of the rod to the lower hinge bolt as a guide

Yes, nice to have confirmation.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2023, 08:22:18 PM »
Another example/close up of the retaining hardware at the end of the trunk spring. From 6R09C131xxxx

Jeff Speegle