Author Topic: voltage regulator review and rubber ink stamping  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: voltage regulator review and rubber ink stamping
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 01:44:22 AM »
Found two more regulators with inspection marks.  However, for the first time I noticed that there are date stamps.  These were both pulled out of 65/66 Galaxies. Obviously the blue Motorcraft is a replacement.
The inspection marks varied in placement and color from what I have seen. The date codes are fairly typical also. The date code on the Motorcraft replacement is most likely 1973,83 etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 11:20:13 PM »
The assembly date of the voltage regulators changed in the very early 70's if I recall correctly. Have seen three different colors used to apply these. Most of the time a blue or purple but have ones that were done in black though not as common. On early versions the date is located in a spot where it is not visible when the regulator is installled in the car

Often there was a colored mark often a number or letter to signified some unknown process of check. Sometimes two different colored marks are found on the base.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 05:27:05 PM »
I opened the original Ford container for a NOS voltage regulator early this year. I assume the container was sealed 55 years ago. It was in a FOMOCO labeled container, not Autolite, not Ford, with service part number C3DZ-10505-A. That part number is for a 6 cylinder VR (170 and 200 CID engines) with a generator. The date code is 3B26 (1963, February 26). That is based on the FOMOCO label. The marking is purple ink, about 24 point type (0.330 inch tall). The part number stamping on the VR is C2DF-10505-A. Its color is a flat, dull yellow. Its overall measurements are 1 9/16 X 2 13/16 inch. The word "REGULATOR" appears to be 12 point type.
Pic 1 - The VR and original container.
Pic 2 - Overall picture.
Pic 3 - Stamp.
Pic 4 - Date code location.
Pic 5 - Date code detail.
I posted this as a possible guide to period markings of early voltage regulators.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.