1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

1965-1966 Convertible Power Top Switch Question

<< < (2/4) > >>

MattDoscher:
My wife's '65 Comet Caliente convertible is the same way.  I like being able to raise/lower the top without having to turn the ignition switch on.

Matt

bryancobb:
OK...So you latched onto his least significant item in the list.  LOL.  The real reason is to allow very-heavy-gauge wire for the LOOOONG run to the thirsty motor without requiring a $500 Ignition switch.

--- Quote from: NEFaurora on December 13, 2017, 09:34:55 PM ---"so the top could go up without a key if it rained."

Ok... I'll buy that...

Makes sense..... and if the answer is good enough for Midlife.....It's good enough for me!

:o)

Tony K.

--- End quote ---

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: bryancobb on January 21, 2018, 12:58:50 PM ---OK...So you latched onto his least significant item in the list.  LOL.  The real reason is to allow very-heavy-gauge wire for the LOOOONG run to the thirsty motor without requiring a $500 Ignition switch.

--- Quote from: NEFaurora on December 13, 2017, 09:34:55 PM ---"so the top could go up without a key if it rained."
Makes sense..... and if the answer is good enough for Midlife.....It's good enough for me!

--- End quote ---

That's a $500 switch for roughly 14,000 convertibles with power tops (a $7,000,000 investment).
Jim
--- End quote ---

Bossbill:
It would appear that the Lincoln division bought all those new fangled things called "relays" and didn't want to share any with its lowly cousin.
Very little else explains this or why the Mustang did not have a horn relay.

Then again the wife's MGA has two fuses for the entire car.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: Bossbill on January 21, 2018, 04:39:30 PM ---It would appear that the Lincoln division bought all those new fangled things called "relays" and didn't want to share any with its lowly cousin.

--- End quote ---
Cost. Mustang was originally envisioned by Ford and sold as an inexpensive car. It was part of Lee Iacocca's sales pitch to the top.

--- Quote from: Bossbill on January 21, 2018, 04:39:30 PM ---Very little else explains this or why the Mustang did not have a horn relay.

--- End quote ---
A "horn relay" was used on 1964 Mustangs. It went away as a cost savings measure (see above).

--- Quote from: Bossbill on January 21, 2018, 04:39:30 PM ---Then again the wife's MGA has two fuses for the entire car.

--- End quote ---
A country that has "boots" and bonnets" as part of a vehicle's description cannot be taken serious. Was there a circuit breaker in the headlight switch circuit?
They were cheap too.
I prefer a Bug-Eyed Sprite.,
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version