1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

1965/66 Mustang upper and lower control arms

<< < (5/5)

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Chris on February 03, 2018, 02:39:46 PM ---This reproduction is available online, has correct waffle style rivets. Seems if you apply correct paint and boot it would serve as a pretty close example to use.

--- End quote ---
You will have to strip the black oxide coating off which is there to act as a rust inhibitor over the bare metal with something first. It is like a gun blueing process but is too dark for a correct bare metal look.  I have used a mild acid like wire wheel cleaner when dealing with service replacement parts that had the same finish . If you don't you will be wasting your time because they will not have the correct look even after dipping up to the ball joint in black paint.

evantugby:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 03, 2018, 07:17:01 PM ---You will have to strip the black oxide coating off which is there to act as a rust inhibitor over the bare metal with something first. It is like a gun blueing process but is too dark for a correct bare metal look.  I have used a mild acid like wire wheel cleaner when dealing with service replacement parts that had the same finish . If you don't you will be wasting your time because they will not have the correct look even after dipping up to the ball joint in black paint.

--- End quote ---

BoB,
What product did you use for the "mild acid like wire wheel cleaner"? 

Thank you!

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: evantugby on April 26, 2020, 12:02:06 AM ---BoB,
What product did you use for the "mild acid like wire wheel cleaner"? 

Thank you!

--- End quote ---
Eagle one chrome and wire wheel cleaner is what I use there are other wire wheel cleaners that use mild acid in their formula.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version