Author Topic: 65' headliner install  (Read 970 times)

Offline Intraining65

65' headliner install
« on: May 04, 2018, 02:04:54 PM »
Was wondering if I could get some guidance on this?
Headliner is installed up to the stretching and fitting point. Held in with clips at roof parameter. Looking for best way to finish the fit/trim and glue process so we can install glass.
I was searching previous posts and was not able to find a section on this.
Thanks!
65' fastback mustang

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65' headliner install
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 02:10:04 PM »
The fastback one is super easy.  Make sure your hooks are attached on the rear bow, pull forward, stick in the middle and work outward.

Move to the rear, stick in the glass channel, same method, start in the middle and work outwards.  Sides are done last.

Lots of how-to's on this in the past, on the web, Mustang Monthly, etc...  Coupes are more challenging in the corners.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 12:04:31 AM »
lay the headerliner out in the sun prior to installing.  It warms the vinyl and helps it stretch out any creases.  I use a heat gun while installing and after it's all stretched and in place.  It's amazing how much the headliner will tighten up with this process,  Good luck!

Daven
9R02R107xxx

Offline Intraining65

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 01:10:37 PM »
Thanks fellas!

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 09:59:22 PM »

Things that I've learned from doing headliners...#1 Let the material sit out in the sun for a half hour to help get out the wrinkles, or you can fudge it by heating up the material with just a normal hair dryer....or even better...steam it while it is off. #2. Always make sure the proper color code rods are in the right order, and always use the furthermost Upper holes if you can because it will pull the material the tightest and look the best. (Hopefully, Your Repro headliner material is cut properly...)

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001