2nd Generation 1974 - 1978 > 1974 - 1978

Engine color for 74 2.8 liter

<< < (2/2)

KevinK:
Thanks for the replies. I figured it was black. I will have to look a little closer to see if it’s glossy or semi gloss.

The wife just pick up a decent 74 Mustang. Not bad from 20 foot. Needs a paint job and some cleaning. I do have an engine surging problem I found on the drive home. Any little hill causes it to surge like a lawn mower running out of gas. I did find the carb to be loose. I suspect a fuel vent or fuel sock issue.

Looking through the service records, now I see why a few things might have been changed.
Fuel pump
Spark plugs
Plug wires
Alternator
Battery
Voltage regulator

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: KevinK on June 26, 2018, 04:32:46 PM ---... I do have an engine surging problem I found on the drive home. Any little hill causes it to surge like a lawn mower running out of gas. I did find the carb to be loose. I suspect a fuel vent or fuel sock issue....

--- End quote ---

I'd suspect vacuum leak first, that loose carb a good beginning point. EGR valve (if equipped) a good 2nd place to look, that and all hoses. (if not sure, make a block-off plate to check before condemning it). ALso check the timing by the book as a basis of a starting point, maybe knock off 2-degrees for modern cheap alcohol-based gas. If you go into the carb, make sure your gaskets and such are "alcohol friendly".

KevinK:
The engine surging is major, almost to the point of cutting out. I don’t think the Egr or vacuum hoses would cause it to surge on a slight incline. They are on my suspicion list.

This being a 74, the oddities for emissions begin here. I found an open vacuum hose and capped it no change. Pull the hose off and rpms went up. It seems this engine does not use a vacuum advance, only a vacuum retard. I saw what looked to be an engine emission label on the valve cover but it’s hard to read. I later found a similar label in a factory alteration kit. I guess I will have to but it and see what it is.  I have also located the vacuum diagram on line

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version