Author Topic: New Eaton Leaf Springs--How to Strip to Bare Metal?  (Read 9164 times)

Offline drummingrocks

New Eaton Leaf Springs--How to Strip to Bare Metal?
« on: March 14, 2011, 11:34:28 PM »
I recently received my new reproduction leaf springs for my '69 Mach 1.  They came from Eaton, and look excellent.  However, they are coated in a really thick coat of what I'm guessing is black paint, obviously for rust protection.  Now, I've had the reproduction shackle kit for a few weeks, and the shackles seem to be coated with the same black paint.

I've only messed with the shackles in my spare time, but so far I've tried:
1. Glass beading them in my blasting cabinet (literally does nothing to affect the finish)
2.  Put them on a bench grinder with a wire wheel attachment (the paint VERY slowly comes off, but you have to get extremely aggressive with the wire wheel)
3. Sandblasted them with actual blasting sand and my outside sandblaster (Again, works very slowly, but appears to be taking the paint off).
4.  Coated an entire shackle with aircraft stripper (does nothing at all, doesn't even appear to be softening the paint whatsoever)
5.  Let a shackle sit in lacquer thinner overnight (again, does nothing at all).

How are you guys getting these things stripped back to bare metal?  I've never, ever seen a paint or coating that is as tough as this stuff.  Literally nothing phases it!  I need some other ideas, guys, please, and surely someone's come up against this before me?

Thanks!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline drummingrocks

Re: New Eaton Leaf Springs--How to Strip to Bare Metal?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:39:08 PM »
I forgot to mention also: What's a good protectant to protect the bare metal after I get the springs stripped?  I've thought about using Eastwood's Diamond Clear.  I've also heard several people speak positively about Rustoleum Stainless Steel paint, as it seems to duplicate the bare metal look pretty closely.  I've also heard about Boeshield T-9, but I'm unsure about what the upkeep would be.  This car, though not going to be a daily driver, is still going to be something that I want to be able to drive when I want to.  I doubt very seriously that I would remember to keep up a constant regiment of waxing or oiling the leaf springs.  Any advice is appreciated!

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 12:17:07 AM »
I followed the advice Jeff offered. I painted mine with Eastwoods zinc phosphate followed by a dusting of interior charcoal sprayed from 4 feet above. They turn out nice when each leaf is done separately and reassembled.

I don't see a problem with media blasting and then following the above mentioned process.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:17:45 AM »
Aircraft grade paint stripper or shot peening. Using other media can cause metal to lose temper
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »
I followed the advice Jeff offered. I painted mine with Eastwoods zinc phosphate followed by a dusting of interior charcoal sprayed from 4 feet above. They turn out nice when each leaf is done separately and reassembled.

I don't see a problem with media blasting and then following the above mentioned process.

Is this the charcoal interior paint that's used on '69 Mustangs?  I've heard of a lot of people using a "charcoal" on the interior of these cars.  Just want to be sure I buy the right thing!

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »
That's what I used, the 1969 interior charcoal. Use an uneven mist to add authenticity. Apply even coats of zinc phosphate. I think it took 2 cans to coat the individual springs.

http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=PUSHfdd8f430f6ab.jpg

http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=PUSH1ec582eb7624.jpg

http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=PUSHb79d2f7b8d9a.jpg

These are rust free original springs I found in CA. They were media blasted with aluminum oxide and then painted.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:51:12 PM by Sunlitgold68 »
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 09:21:48 PM »
SunlitGold, you were lucky to find an original, unrusted set!  Around here, most of the ones I've tried to take out and "save" haven't been worth the effort.  Without any coating, these things just didn't last, especially if the car ever saw winter.

Thanks for the pictures.  You do excellent work!

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 09:49:48 PM »

Can you post some pics of your new Eatton Springs, I would like to see pics of the new springs.

Thanks,

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 10:11:02 PM »
Sounds like they are either powder coated or E Coated now.

The clamps that NPD was selling were natural , but like all Repro not correct in comparison to OEM.
I too sand blasted my originals from AZ, and installed the repro rubber from the NPD ones.

It's too bad about the way the springs are coming.  I don't play in the show game, but there was a time that BLACK was accepted I think.  Now it is back to oil quenched black, with natural clamps.  (I THINK)

Mark

1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline sparky65

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »
I recently received my new reproduction leaf springs for my '69 Mach 1.  They came from Eaton, and look excellent.  However, they are coated in a really thick coat of what I'm guessing is black paint, obviously for rust protection.  Now, I've had the reproduction shackle kit for a few weeks, and the shackles seem to be coated with the same black paint.

I've only messed with the shackles in my spare time, but so far I've tried:

I bought the Eaton springs about a year and a half ago and they too had this heavy rubbery black coating.  I took them apart and used Klean Strip KS-3 from Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/Paint/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar2d/R-100144685/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053  It didn't bubble and blister instead it just turned soft.  Then I used a brush to clean it off.  After a few coats they came very clean but it did take some time.  Sounds like you tried something similar so don't know if it will work if they changed something.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 11:08:39 PM »
Thanks, I think they turned out nice too.

At the 2009 Mustang Stampede show in Raleigh, I saw several cars sitting way too high in the back. I knew only a set of original springs would do, you won't get the letter "E" on the round sections like the originals have either. I was fortunate to find the rust free ones on Craigslist for a cheap price and alot less headache it sounds like.

The media blasting didn't effect the thickness of the metal on mine, has a real nice stance.

8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline BuckeyeDemon

• Photobucket Pictures
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 11:23:10 PM »
eaton wanted to charge me $150 to remove the paint.  ouch.

i media blasted, sprayed two coats reduced black DP epoxy, one mist coat of eastwood zinc phosphate and a haze of clear.  the bands are still natural and will need a protectant.  i couldn't figure out how to paint and not chip them while putting them on.  the bottom leafs are still original.  i'm a little concerned about how the car is going to sit.  i have a hard time believing the media is going to effect the spring rate.

my original clamps had round holes, the repro's i got have square holes.
of course my car isn't remotely concours.

VIN: 9F02M178303
Build Date: March 31, 1969
1969 Mach 1, Candyapple Red, 351W 4V

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 11:36:09 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I'll be honest, I hear what you guys are saying about "correct" springs not sitting correctly once they're installed on the car.  I used TWO sets of Eaton springs on my '66 fastback, one from Mustangs Unlimited, one from CJ Pony Parts.  At the time, I thought that maybe I had gotten the wrong set from MU.  Anyway, the car sat up about 3 inches too high...it looked awful.  Then, when I got what I thought were the "correct" springs from CJ's, the ride height was the same.

I had the original springs to compare to the repros, and the repros clearly had way too much arch.  Unfortunately, I didn't find this out until I went through two sets, AND I had already painted and detailed the CJ springs.  I ended up having to have the springs de-arched 2 inches by a local driveline shop.  Of course, they scratched the heck out of them and I got to repaint them again, but at least the car sat correctly.

I dread so badly going through this mess with the current springs on the car I'm working on now.  Heck, maybe I'll actually get a "correct" set that sits close to original?   :(  I don't mean to gripe--the Eaton springs are definitely better than having nothing at all to work with.  But when they claim that they are reproducing these springs to exact specifications and two sets of springs are that far off (but are "correct" according to the supplier's application chart), then we have a problem.  I'm tempted to mock up these springs before I even attempt to detail them; better to have them arched or de-arched now rather than later.  Again, I hate to complain....but this is a pretty sore topic with me.   Ok, move along, people, nothing to see here.  Rant's over. ;D

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 11:53:34 PM »
The Eaton Springs may settle over time, maybe the cars I saw were not driven much, I just didn't want to take such a chance with the cost involved. Yours look nice.

8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 12:42:04 AM »
Who sells the repro clamps and what were these springs used on in 68 besides CJ's?