Author Topic: 1965-1966 Mustang Headlight Grille Trim Pieces, Plastic  (Read 879 times)

Offline Andre Romein

1965-1966 Mustang Headlight Grille Trim Pieces, Plastic
« on: May 17, 2022, 04:05:04 PM »
Does anyone know if these where OEM or just aftermarket? In this one is the code 161L stamped

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1965-1966 Mustang Headlight Grille Trim Pieces, Plastic
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 04:18:24 PM »
Those were optional in 1965 only (they show on the 64 Body Assembly manual but with 1965 part numbers) as C5ZB-13A127 and C5ZB-13A128. I've only seen one car with them. I don't know how they were marked. You say "stamped", like in an ink stamp? Most assembly line marked Mustang parts used a raised or recessed set of numbers in the material for part numbers and date codes.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Andre Romein

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 05:10:43 PM »
Here is a photo of the code inside

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 07:12:36 PM »
Because Mustangs were so popular tons of aftermarket producers turned out allot of custom parts to make an owners car stand out from all the others on the street. Side grills similar or the same as you show were available through many of the catalogs of the time such as JC Whitney, Honest Charlie or locally at places like Grand Auto or local auto parts stores. Ford kind of did the same thing by purchasing from some of the same companies and reboxing them and giving them a Ford part number on the box. This all added to the confusion between Ford made accessories, ones that were sold both through Ford and aftermarket and those not sold by Ford.

Don't recall seeing ones with two screw holes in the center grill area before.

Know I've got pictures of ads showing these things. Will find and post below

Thread showing addition era aftermarket items

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17327.msg109103#msg109103

« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 07:21:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 07:27:06 PM »
 It is a raised number, which means it was "engraved" into the mold. The "L" in the stamping "161L" may mean the left side. Position the piece on both RH and LH buckets to check "fit". The 161 may be a vendor mold number/part number.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 08:15:35 PM »
Found them!   

From a 68 JC Whitney. Drawing shows three grill rib edges and two screws located in the middle rib. If the illustration is accurate

Interesting that is list a version for 67's Don't think I've ever seen a pair of those

Jeff Speegle

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 03:01:58 PM »
As Jeff alluded to, I also always thought that these "Gills" were aftermarket only. But, as Jim noted, the 1964-1/2 -1965 Body Assembly Manual does show the "Gills".  They are listed as "Ornament, Headlamp Housing", (R.P.O.). The Engineering Number noted is C5ZB-13A127. The Assembly Drawing (a portion of which is attached), shows that the ornaments had studs, or pins, protruding on the backside. The attaching hardware is shown as circular, push-on spring nuts, which would indicate that the protrusions are pins.

However, all of that being said, a further look int this part reveals the following :

1) A look at the Text portions of the 1965, 66 and 67 Ford Parts and Accessories Catalogs shows no such similar Part Number.
2) A search in the same 3 Catalogs shows no such "ornament".
3) Similar results in the 1960-68 MPC.
4) No such Option is listed in any Sales Brochure that I have, nor in the list of Options in the 1965 Ford Car Facts Book, nor in the 1965 Salesman's Price Guide.
5) No similar Part Number is noted in the 1964, 65, 66, or 67 Ford OSI Books.
6) No similar Part Number is listed in the November, 1965 Ford List Price Book.

Based on the above, IMHO, I believe that Ford originally thought about including this Option, but canceled it prior to Production. Unfortunately, most times the Assembly Drawings that have been reprinted are the ones that were available in the book from which they were printed, and do not include Revisions that may have occurred before and after the dates shown on the drawings. When they do, there is usually a large stamp noting "CANCELED" on the page,

Of course, any Ford documentation which shows that these were actually available, even if for a short time, would be welcomed.

Bob

1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 04:22:30 PM »
Oh come now. There were a very popular "option", rating right up there with factory installed "Fuzzy Dice" that hang from the rear view mirror.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 05:11:19 PM »
...........Based on the above, IMHO, I believe that Ford originally thought about including this Option, but canceled it prior to Production. Unfortunately, most times the Assembly Drawings that have been reprinted are the ones that were available in the book from which they were printed, and do not include Revisions that may have occurred before and after the dates shown on the drawings. When they do, there is usually a large stamp noting "CANCELED" on the page,

Just another example of things you have to take into consideration when reading Ford documents. What took place in real life doesn't always mirror what is in print. This also is a reminder that the assembly manual are a collection of different days and time periods through out the production year that were produced to correct a mistake on the prior page it the page replaced or a page that may have been replaced the following day.

Glad these didn't make production as in MHO they were ugly and looked cheap
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 12:41:48 AM »
Not as ugly as eyelashes for Miatas or VW bugs...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com