Author Topic: Nut and Bolt Markings  (Read 929 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Nut and Bolt Markings
« on: August 20, 2022, 06:00:16 PM »
One of the things that we need to do is create more technical descriptions of things.
There are technical papers that describe gloss levels, but instead we say "Semi-Gloss black, a bit on the glossy side."

Jim has a wonderful description of fasteners in the Library which has served us all well.
But we don't have a glossary of the various bolt marking and instead say "SEMS" or "==".

To the rescue on the Nevada SAAC site is a picture of the various head markings with standard numbers.
http://nvsaac.com/Details/nuts_bolts_headmarks.htm

We could use this picture chart (with approval) and say Sems fastener TY-45.
There are more (including in the AMK manual) but surely we can start with something like this to be more specific.

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Nut and Bolt Markings
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 06:12:07 PM »
One of the things that we need to do is create more technical descriptions of things.
There are technical papers that describe gloss levels, but instead we say "Semi-Gloss black, a bit on the glossy side."

Jim has a wonderful description of fasteners in the Library which has served us all well.
But we don't have a glossary of the various bolt marking and instead say "SEMS" or "==".

Agree no we don't and Jim and I have discussed the idea of adding that detail a number of times.

Of course producing a spread sheet with that information would mean possible 5 times the space and work of the original effort since the head markings can, depending on the part differ between the plants and differ from different production periods. One good example as been the fender bolt studies that have been presented on this site.

To the rescue on the Nevada SAAC site is a picture of the various head markings with standard numbers.
http://nvsaac.com/Details/nuts_bolts_headmarks.htm

Don't believe that was an original work by the owner of that site. Appears to be a reorganization or an earlier graphic version of the one published in the AMK Guide to For Fasteners 1955-73 down to the introduction/text at the beginning. In the AMK version this takes three pages of the book. I believe the publications was based on the Utility Catalog title that Ford used for these publications back into the 30's at least

Bottom line , yes it would be great if someone would dedicate a few years to getting this collected or getting the ball rolling by taking on the task. Expect that there would be a lot of "unknown" in the spread sheet for a good while as you hunt down examples from every month or even tighter time period if there was a change, from every plant as well as from original cars. Task gets more difficult everyday with especially eastern cars were owners are just replacing all of their hardware with the replacement stuff.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 06:33:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 07:42:43 PM »
I wasn't intending for it to be added to the existing spreadsheet. I agree that would be a huge effort.

I thought we could include the marking data in the site and when someone says they have the "G circling the L", instead they can say their bolt had the 'TY-19' or the 'GL TY-19' marking. Just like SEMSs can have different versions of their markings, Rockwell has two version, we can be more specific and reference the chart to really nail down what the posture may be saying.

Only crazy people like me want not only the correct fastener, the correct finish but the correct head marking on all of my fasteners.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 07:44:54 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 08:14:00 PM »
I wasn't intending for it to be added to the existing spreadsheet. I agree that would be a huge effort.

I thought we could include the marking data in the site and when someone says they have the "G circling the L", instead they can say their bolt had the 'TY-19' or the 'GL TY-19' marking. Just like SEMSs can have different versions of their markings, Rockwell has two version, we can be more specific and reference the chart to really nail down what the posture may be saying.

OK now I understand your intent. Is it important to call them by the same labels as was done in the hardware manual?  Just asking

Yes easier but a couple of hoops to jump through to get around possible concerns

Only crazy people like me want not only the correct fastener, the correct finish but the correct head marking on all of my fasteners.

You had apparently lots more. We're at almost 6,000 members with multiples (often) that number in lurkers. What Charles and I expected to be a small group has surely grown with all of the members support and efforts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)