Author Topic: Heavy duty solenoid date code  (Read 1258 times)

Offline 69supercj

Heavy duty solenoid date code
« on: August 24, 2022, 08:41:04 PM »
Is this the date code and if so how does it decode? I?m pretty sure this came on my February 14 built drag pack car but not sure if it was the original one.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Heavy duty solenoid date code
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 02:45:09 PM »
Its a pattern mentioned a couple of times I believe in the article in the Library on Date coding

9CA

Yes, month, week
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 04:13:55 PM »
Its a pattern mentioned a couple of times I believe in the article in the Library on Date coding

9CA

Yes, month, week
I think you mean "Year, month, week".  ;)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 04:16:32 PM »
FYI it is not a heavy duty solenoid. Just one from a different MFG that is a different style. The internal components are the same as in the more typical other style solenoid. They were dubbed "heavy duty " for lack of a better explanation by those who hadn't opened them up to compare the difference between the two. The term stuck. "Flat style "solenoid is a more appropriate and accurate description.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69supercj

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 12:57:28 PM »
FYI it is not a heavy duty solenoid. Just one from a different MFG that is a different style. The internal components are the same as in the more typical other style solenoid. They were dubbed "heavy duty " for lack of a better explanation by those who hadn't opened them up to compare the difference between the two. The term stuck. "Flat style "solenoid is a more appropriate and accurate description.

Okay thanks Bob. I'd been led to believe that they were used on the big blocks.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 02:01:22 PM »
Nope. They were used on smallblock Mustangs during a certain time frame at least on the Dearborn line.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 02:46:32 PM »

To clarify they have been found on both small and big block cars during different production periods at plants such as  Dearborn
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 09:46:14 AM »
69supercj. 9ca would be to late date for a feb car and from all the original flat dearborn solinoids i have had your feb car would be a c7az # and a jan date as the c9az # shows up in march on. The latest date i seen on c7az is late feb before c9az shows up and these were made in batches.