Author Topic: 65 Kick Panel Screws  (Read 447 times)

Offline 65IVYGT

65 Kick Panel Screws
« on: October 20, 2022, 11:32:43 AM »
In need of four (4) original kick panel screws. All of the aftermarket screws are wrong. Let me know... $$
65 GT Coupe, SJ:5/17, Factory Air and PS, 4-Speed, Ivy Green, Pony Interior.

Offline jwc66k

Re: 65 Kick Panel Screws
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 01:02:05 PM »
In need of four (4) original kick panel screws. All of the aftermarket screws are wrong.
"Wrong" how?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 65IVYGT

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 06:59:03 PM »
They are the wrong size?based on what I?ve learned on here. The original ones are larger than what is sold by AMK or anyone else, apparently.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 08:05:56 PM »
They are the wrong size?based on what I?ve learned on here. The original ones are larger than what is sold by AMK or anyone else, apparently.
I found part numbers for both the assembly line screws and the service screws and they are the same thread and same head diameter but are different lengths. Both are sold by AMK. There may be a "disagreement" as to the numbers used per side, 2 vs. 3 (I believe 3 was the general consensus), so in keeping with Jeff's "education" objective of this forum, please do some research. I used the "Ford Car Parts" (aka MPC) in the library plus the Mustang Hardware Spreadsheet for 64-66 by application also in the library to find the answers.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 65IVYGT

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 08:22:07 PM »
Attached is a picture Jeff posted in an earlier thread re: kick panel screws as found in 65 SJ builds. They are larger (not necessarily the screw thread size, but the washer size and thus "overall"  size) than what I see at AMK or anywhere else...where the washer part looks smaller. I also recall Charles Turner noting that the AMK screws were not correct and that he simply had original screws refinished...but I don't have enough original screws. I only have two that match Jeff's photo...so I need four more.

So...thats were I got my information...from research on this site. Are you saying that the AMK screws are just like the ones in Jeff's photo? The photo on the AMK site doesn't look the same to me.

I do appreciate your input and assistance...

Offline 65IVYGT

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 08:31:54 PM »
This is a picture from the AMK website for a kick panel screw for a 65. Does not look like the screw in the picture Jeff posted. Now, upon further inspection of Jeff's picture, I can't honestly tell if ALL three screws look exactly like the larger top one that is clearly visible, but I'm guessing it may be the camera angle since it wouldn't make much sense to have two different size screws for one application.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 12:14:35 AM »
This is a picture from the AMK website for a kick panel screw for a 65. Does not look like the screw in the picture Jeff posted.
Yes it does.
Did you check the library?
Jim

Offline 65IVYGT

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 11:39:12 AM »
Yes.  But, something is wrong if you think those pictures match. They are not remotely the same screw.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 12:49:34 PM »
Yes.  But, something is wrong if you think those pictures match. They are not remotely the same screw.
You need to have some faith, and some skepticism.
From the pictures:
Can you determine the thread pitch?
Can you determine the screw diameter?
Can you determine the head diameter?
Can you determine the screw length?
Can you determine the tip type?
In need of four (4) original kick panel screws. All of the aftermarket screws are wrong. Let me know... $$
I'm satisfied with what is used on all my 65-66 Mustangs and it matches what is in the Assembly Manuals by part number (except for the quantity used).
Jim

Offline 65IVYGT

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 05:10:24 PM »
One thing I absolutely can tell...they aren't the same. The picture posted by Jeff (after he looked at 30 or more SJ cars) shows kick panel screws where the underlying "washer" component is fairly large in relation to the screw head. I have two of those in hand and need four more. So, I guess I'll revise my request and simply ask if anyone has four of those exact screws for sale...  $$

The AMK picture, and every other supplier picture I can locate, shows a screw where the underlying "washer" component is smaller in relation to the screw head. That is what makes the screws that are available from retail sources different than what I am seeking.

I'm sure you're correct about the manuals, part numbers, etc. But, I want/need the exact screws as shown in Jeff's picture and I have yet to locate those from any source. 

Thank you...

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 07:00:55 PM »
One thing I absolutely can tell...they aren't the same. The picture posted by Jeff (after he looked at 30 or more SJ cars) shows kick panel screws where the underlying "washer" component is fairly large in relation to the screw head. I have two of those in hand and need four more.
Did you take measurements? And I have three San Jose cars with the correct screws installed.
Jim

Offline 65IVYGT

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 08:13:11 PM »
Can you PM me pictures? I appreciate it... you've been very helpful.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 01:04:17 PM »
Can you PM me pictures?
Did you take measurements?
We still don't know what you want. We know what you don't want, but those screws are the ones shown in the assembly manuals.
Jim