Author Topic: Fuel tank  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Angela

Fuel tank
« on: April 16, 2011, 09:30:59 PM »
I'm not really sure where it's appropriate to post this. Can anyone give me some advice concerning cleaning a fuel tank? I let fuel sit in my 67 fastback too long... I'm not really sure how long it sat in the brand new fuel tank, but I'm guessing 6 months, maybe longer, but certainly not years. Regardless, the fuel stinks horrible... I had only put a few gallons in it to test run the engine and probably only burned a half gallon or so. After I noticed the smell I drained the fuel and have not run the engine since. It's now been at least a year since I fired up the engine and I really want to get it running again. However, the empty fuel tank still smells horrible and I fear it might be varnished up. Is this a concern? I don't dare remove the tank because I know the mastic ribbon sealer will pull the paint off and it's a concours restoration still in progress. Should I put new fuel in with some SeaFoam, let is sit a few days, drain it out, refill with new gas again and then start the engine? Am I worrying too much due to the horrible odor?

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:57:57 AM »
Angela, This is kind of a tough call but my feeling is that being as your tank is/was installed brand new and only a few gallons were put in it then drained as much as possible then if it were mine I'd just put about 5 gallons of gas in WITH a DOUBLE DOSE of STA-BIL and go from there I personally think you'll be ok doing this-I am a real believer in the STA-BIL fuel stabilizer.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 10:16:56 AM »
+1 the new fuel does not last very long. Always use Sta-Bil if it sits very long. Marty

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
Has anyone used/tried the new stuff Sta-Bil makes for use with the ethinol fuels?? its kinda clear/yellow looking......I think I might also try it along with the normal Sta-Bil in my '65.
I usually put a double dose of Sta-Bil (the 2 year mix) in my gasoline-It never lasts that long anyway.....I put 5 gallons in about every other show......