Author Topic: Air cleaner decal  (Read 997 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

Air cleaner decal
« on: September 04, 2023, 12:30:45 PM »
I am persistant, looking for a smart person here. I see that there is a yellow decal that says 428 cobra jet and a shorter orange one that says 428 premium fuel. Which is correct for a 69 Q code non ram air Mustang. I have seen both used. is there a rhyme or reason for both?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Air cleaner decal
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 04:07:56 PM »
I looked around in my collection and could not find a single example that did not have an original cubic inch decal on a Q code 69. Guess your seeing the same thing, Just a bunch of reproduction ones so far so no solid help at the moment. Just what others have "chosen" to use. Not sure anyone on the CJ site has an original either but could ask there. Unfortunately this is one of the first decals people tend to replace even on otherwise unrestored or original cars  :( since its front and center when viewing the engine compartment.

Hopefully someone else has a good original and the production period of the car to share
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 06:05:27 PM »
So you are telling you do not what is the correct air cleaner decal? MCA must say what is right. One of them has to be right. And I am talking about what is sold in restoration catalogs.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 07:25:54 PM »
So you are telling you do not what is the correct air cleaner decal? MCA must say what is right. One of them has to be right. And I am talking about what is sold in restoration catalogs.

First understand the frustrations but not everything is know and it takes time and effort to find and confirm many things. Because of this you may be able to "get by" with the incorrect one  but if your intent is to find and use the correct one that is a different thing.

No MCA doesn't have to include those details and hasn't, in the past, in their rules or judging sheets. MCA and other clubs don't often identify the exact correct decal in most cases or incorrect ones. In general those details are seen as too numerous so they shy away from including in print differences between assembly plants or production periods for example. Do have gold winning Q codes with different cubic inch decals and none of them were deducted for the decal if your using MCA for a standard on this detail. Sure if you contact the Gold Card Judges for 69-70 Mustangs for MCA they will have their opinions. Was one for a number of years, years ago.

Yes one was correct just can't verify it with what I have in my resources.

Not all of the decals available are factory or correct. Often they are just what is available or something owners will buy so they keep making them. I asked about this 30 plus years ago to the oldest reproducers of the decals. I asked why he made, supplied and listed certain decals for an engine. His response was I make them because people buy them.  My comment was they would buy the wrong stickers if you didn't sell them. In many of those cases the stickers/decals were not correct but "close enough" or just what was available. Efforts for some of the newer companies has been better but all can fall short only to surprise owners later on the judging field or elsewhere when the details are explained.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 10:30:35 AM »
Thank you, just surprised that fact is not known. But I did find out the yellow one has a D0 number on it. I like do things right, as is said on this site MANY times. That is why I am part of it. As I get into this Tally build I will post pics, if I remember. LOL It will be a concours build.

Offline Keith Stem

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 08:18:23 PM »
 For what it's worth, the original air cleaner decal on my 68.5 CJ is "428 Cubic Inches." The decal that is 4V Premium Fuel looks like it is for a passenger car not a Mustang.

Offline alanmac

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 10:21:18 PM »
In 1969 when I was a young teen, I toured the river rouge plant.  The tour began with a Wimbledon white Boss 429 on display in the entry hall.  What a thrill to see Mustangs and Cougars being built almost from scratch.  I reached into a bin and took a few 428 decals, the tour guide didn't mind.  I still have 12 of the decals Attached is a picture.  Alan   
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA