Author Topic: 68 coupe, san jose, color of leaf springs, shackles.  (Read 3177 times)

Offline RogerArrick

68 coupe, san jose, color of leaf springs, shackles.
« on: May 05, 2011, 11:18:22 PM »
Can someone confirm for me colors for leaf springs, shock brackets, shackles, tie bracket, U-bolts on a 68 coupe, San Jose car?

I would like to at least get the colors right on these items.  Would it be similar to this?
http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2011/03/1965-mustang-high-performance.html

Thanks
Roger

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 coupe, san jose, color of leaf springs, shackles.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:04:28 AM »
Leafs are hardened dark steel with natural steel bands. Shackles are natural bare steel witrh darkened hardened studs are cad nuts. U bolts are natural bare steel with cad nuts (may have red dye on nuts)Shock brackets are natural bare steel. Tie down brackets I believe are black on SJ car
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:20:21 PM »
Leafs are hardened dark steel with natural steel bands. Shackles are natural bare steel with darkened hardened studs are cad nuts. U bolts are natural bare steel with cad nuts (may have red dye on nuts)Shock brackets are natural bare steel. Tie down brackets I believe are black on SJ car

Would not expect to see red dye on that early of a car and at that plant - agree with the other details.

If you do a search you will likely find a fair number of examples showing tone and tints as described in Tim's description
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RogerArrick

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 10:38:12 PM »
If I wanted to paint the leaf springs, would the Plastikote 282 aluminum cast color be best, or the darker 285?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »
A very dark gray paint would be most appropriate if trying to use paint to replicated the original finish.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:43:36 PM »
well if you feel you must paint them the i would use the zinc phosphate paint that eastwood company sells. i have used it on driver type cars & it looks pretty good.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 10:47:57 PM »
I've found I like using a thin coat (any more the leaves look painted) Eastwoods phosphate rattle can followed by a light dry coat of Dark Charcoal Metalic (interior black for 67-+)  Followed by a light full coat of low gloss clear for protection

Of course painting only invites (if the car get used or moved much) rust developing in certain areas as the paint gets rubbed of scraped away when the suspension travels
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 11:00:20 PM »
Leafs are hardened dark steel with natural steel bands. Shackles are natural bare steel with darkened hardened studs are cad nuts. U bolts are natural bare steel with cad nuts (may have red dye on nuts)Shock brackets are natural bare steel. Tie down brackets I believe are black on SJ car
My 7-12 -68 HCS had bare steel tie downs. Is that because it was a late build? Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 01:22:55 AM »
I've found I like using a thin coat (any more the leaves look painted) Eastwoods phosphate rattle can followed by a light dry coat of Dark Charcoal Metalic (interior black for 67-+)  Followed by a light full coat of low gloss clear for protection

Of course painting only invites (if the car get used or moved much) rust developing in certain areas as the paint gets rubbed of scraped away when the suspension travels
I would still go over the painted leaf spring with some Boe Shield or the like to eliminate the rusting Jeff mentions. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 07:23:13 PM »
My 7-12 -68 HCS had bare steel tie downs. Is that because it was a late build? Marty

Marty - haven't seen a set of bare metal ones on a San Jose car. Have seen rusty but not ones that were originally unpainted.

Odd  :o
Jeff Speegle