Author Topic: Voltage Regulator Electrical Connections  (Read 467 times)

Offline must69

Voltage Regulator Electrical Connections
« on: December 19, 2023, 09:57:01 PM »
Hi, I have just gone through two voltage regulators and one battery.  The generator tests good.  The first two regulators were Chinese, purchase through NPD.  I have bought a new U.S. voltage regulator and battery and want to make sure the electrical connections at the regulator are correct. I have made the connections by the assembly manual, however those diagrams are not that clear.  Because of the cost of the parts involved can someone post a photo of the regulator connections so I can be sure I have the connections correct? I have posted a photo of the connections I have now.
Thanks.  Phil

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Voltage Regulator Electrical Connections
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 06:20:51 AM »
If you have all the connections on the regulator and generator attached correctly and known-good (or assumed good) components, I must ask...did you polarize the system? Generator systems require that before they will charge.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline must69

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 07:57:34 AM »
Richard, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I polarized the generator.  I believe my connections are correct, but at the expense of a new domestic voltage regulator and battery I just want to be sure. 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 02:12:35 PM »
I had radio resistors blowing out voltage regulators a while back... if the resistor is not new, keep it disconnected when doing your next test.

Shop manual will have the wiring schematic.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline must69

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 02:20:18 PM »
Charles, since you mention radio resistors, I assume you mean the one that attaches to the bottom of the regulator or to the back of the generator? 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 02:33:59 PM »
Charles, since you mention radio resistors, I assume you mean the one that attaches to the bottom of the regulator or to the back of the generator?

Yessir.  I'm sure there's a way to test them, but I don't recall the process.  I found an NOS one and all was good.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline must69

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2023, 02:35:51 PM »
Thanks for that heads up!
Phil