Author Topic: Trunk Spring Question  (Read 3363 times)

Offline mts

Trunk Spring Question
« on: November 12, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
Is the nut that's located on the end of the fastback trunk spring supposed to be a type of sheetmetal speed nut, or is it more like an internally serrated washer?  I can't tell from the illustrations in the Osborne manuals what the part actually looks like, although it calls for "nut".  I've seen what appears like a flat internal serrated washer on other cars pressed onto the end and wondered if that's what the part actually is and what I should use.  Anybody know?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Trunk Spring Question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 09:00:50 PM »
That little part is not reproduced.  I took an axle cap that was embedded into a plastic cap at HD, removed the plastic, and under-drilled the "hat" of the cap so it would stay on the spring rod.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline mts

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:46:38 PM »
I've seen 5 or 6 '65 fastbacks, and only 2 had something there, and they looked like serrated washers.   I haven't seen an unrestored one, other than my own and there was nothing on mine.  The 2 that had the washers were Shelby's.  Mine's a Dearborn car.  None of the cars I've seen had a 1/4 axle cap for a toy, which I think is what you're talking about? 

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 12:17:23 AM »
That spring nut (p/n 380264-S2) was used on the right hand Fastback trunk torsions rod from 65 into the 67 model year when the 68 style hinges were supposed to be implimented. I found a spring nut on a 67 San Jose, May, 67 build Fastback so I don't know if or when it got done. I got a damaged spring nut from a local Mustang shop and managed to clean it up enough to read the manufacturer's name, PAL. Palnut and Timmerman (the other major supplier of spring nuts) are now one in the same company but it makes no difference, they don't reproduce the part. However, they have a similar item, same OD, same ID, same thickness, but it does not have the 8 retaining serrations that the original has, it uses a formed lip to retain it on a shaft. I got some samples from Tinnerman (it pays to be straight up when talking to any salesmen and let them know what you are trying to do, this one had a 69 Mach I) and used a Dremel tool with a diamond cutter to "add" the serrations. As the spring nut is painted, you cannot tell. After I put one on my 66 Fastback, a 67 Fastback and two 66 Shelbys, I got about 10 left. Send me a P/M and we'll talk.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 03:45:51 AM »
That spring nut (p/n 380264-S2) was used on the right hand Fastback trunk torsions rod from 65 into the 67 model year when the 68 style hinges were supposed to be implimented...............

Not sure if all of the 65s used it - have a couple of very early examples that I'm still trying to confirm. There were possibly at least two different springs, a couple different sized insulators (when used)  and then three different short arms.  But yes the vast - vast majority of the fastbacks used them

Got to love those running changes
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:48:13 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:18:06 AM »
I don't know if this helps or not but here is my trunk torsion bars:

Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline mts

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 11:11:45 AM »
Yep, that's the one I've seen on the cars that had them, flat with about 6 or 8 serrations on the inside.  Haven't seen an wire clip before though, that's different.

Thank you.  It confirms what I saw.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »
Here's a copy of the page from AMK's Guide to Ford Fasteners that show their generic pgoto and a list of the parts. Pardon my markings on the page but it's the best place to leave notes (you can't do that very well on a .jpg or .pdf file while working).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 11:43:38 PM »
I don't know if this helps or not but here is my trunk torsion bars:

Is that a plastic bushing at the top? How do I figure out if my car ever had one of those?

I suppose they are unobtanium?
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 12:24:56 AM »
Is that a plastic bushing at the top? How do I figure out if my car ever had one of those?

I suppose they are unobtanium?

First if your passenger side trunk hinge is original (check the date code) the hole for the spring would be larger and round. Worn holes are often larger but not round.

Also compare other cars built at the same plant, same production period and hopefully same of close date code on that trunk hinge

Chris/ChrisV289 car is a San Jose example.  Sorry we haven't done or been asked that I recall to do a survey to help determine around when the change took place as we have for 65 San Jose built cars but the hinge dates should apply since the same stamping plant supplied both plants I believe.

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=27123.msg166398#msg166398

So while I look for examples built around the same time period and plant as your car can you provide the date stamp from your passenger side hinge? Hinges dated the same should have the same design we would expect until something solid is found to challenge that notion

« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 12:27:06 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 08:09:02 AM »
What's interesting about Chris' car is it has the same scheduled build day as mine, but in SJ instead of Dearborn.

I found this car on BAT with the same scheduled build day and also from Dearborn, but no pictures of where I needed to see. The trunk goop matches mine to a "T" though, lol. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-ford-mustang-404/

Hole is beautifully round, .450 diameter, rod is around .226 in diameter, so I suspect I'm missing a plastic bushing.
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 02:48:22 PM »
What's interesting about Chris' car is it has the same scheduled build day as mine, but in SJ instead of Dearborn.

I found this car on BAT with the same scheduled build day and also from Dearborn, but no pictures of where I needed to see. The trunk goop matches mine to a "T" though, lol. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-ford-mustang-404/

Hole is beautifully round, .450 diameter, rod is around .226 in diameter, so I suspect I'm missing a plastic bushing.

Didn't find a date code on it?  One below is dated 10 for the month = October

« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 06:40:09 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2023, 05:09:31 PM »
Date on my hinge is 9 11 2D.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 09:56:09 AM by jtfx6552 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2023, 09:19:44 PM »
Date on my hinge os 9 11 2D.

Thanks With that date on the hinge and the correct design for that period, welded stops and so one, we have others from the same period at Dearborn to confirm it very likely was made for the bushing like the one below of 5R09C363xxx.

Think I'll start a 65 Dearborn running change thread related to fastback spring and related parts thread. Just added all the different differences in both 1965 Metuchen and Dearborn Running Changes main threads
Jeff Speegle