Author Topic: '65 Convertible Bracing Bars & Brackets - When were they started??  (Read 8415 times)

Offline jwc66k

Tony,
  From Jeff's files, a copy of one of the types of braces. I don't know the time frame.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
No Jeff.  The brackets that I am referring to are the ones that attach to the round ('65 only) convertible bracing bars that are just forward and out of your above picture-closer to the radiator support.

Ok the forward anchor brackets (orientated one up and one down).

All the examples I have are star washer bolts vertically - the difference appears the be the horizontal (mounting to the inner fender panels) - again based on different time periods and plants. Do you have a specific time period your looking for?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline NEFaurora

Would be a Dearborn car, June 24th 1965 timeframe..

Thanks Jeff.

PS: Also, Thanks for the TSB...!

Thanks guys!

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Would be a Dearborn car, June 24th 1965 timeframe..

Closest - clear picture I have is from 5F08A727557

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline NEFaurora

Thanks Jeff,

Tony K.

MCA#70001

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Take note that the bolts holding the brackets to the inner fenders are painted black as these were installed before the engine bay was painted.  Pretty common mistake when folks leave them natural on a '65.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline NEFaurora

It looks like a standard SEMS bolt.. like what is used for the top of the fenders..

Tony K.

MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

It looks like a standard SEMS bolt.. like what is used for the top of the fenders..

Tony K.
It's three each 378156-S2 5/16-18X7/8 hex bolts with an external tooth lock washer, with one of the bolts and one 55736-S2 5/16-18 nut (same as spring shields) for the brace on each side. I reconditioned a set of these a few years back for sale on e-bay. Based on Charles' "painted after installation observation", the tapped bar inside the fender well most likely got covered with some type of sealant as well. I remember that the tapped bars I sold were in bad shape though.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline NEFaurora

Jim,

Apparently, The original bolts with the toothed star lock washer are still there on my passenger side, but the ones on my Driver's side are gone! - Some bogus Dorman bolts are in their place.  Good luck finding those bolts... I'll need at least two of them.. I've never seen that bolt combo anywhere else I can remember on a '65-'66 mustang... I think my bars are still there..

Tony K.

MCA#70001

Offline ra000052

Re: '65 Convertible Bracing Bars & Brackets - When were they started??
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2023, 03:11:26 PM »
Started being installed Aug '64 according to the 'correct' answer from my MCA test.
65A  J  86  15G  54  3  6
F507U200077

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2023, 07:19:13 PM »
Started being installed Aug '64 according to the 'correct' answer from my MCA test.

Probably need to talk to Scott about that if that's on the MCA certification test.  Have many examples of Sept/Oct '64 convertibles without the braces.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2023, 07:41:12 PM »

Probably need to talk to Scott about that if that's on the MCA certification test.  Have many examples of Sept/Oct '64 convertibles without the braces.
Back to the paperwork everybody seems to shun. According to the "1965 Mustang Body Assembly Manual" (AM0006) pg 9 (the 9 is barely visible in my book), Item 19, C5ZB-16D110-1 (1 req'd each side) plus additional items (20 and AB), were added on a "blurry date" referenced in the revision section (lower LH corner). All I can read is *3-**-65.
However, there's a TSB about retrofits (see attached) - which brings up an interesting question.
If a 64 1/2 or early 65 Mustang had the braces innstalled, which were not an assembly line item, but were added per the TSB, how would that "retrofit" be judged? Some classes - yes, some classes - no?
Jim