Author Topic: 1967-68 Safety Convenience System - Application, Components, Wiring, Lenses and Bulbs  (Read 41720 times)

Offline 67GTAConvt

I have a 67 GTA convertible with factory (Marti verified) tilt wheel, convenience control and A/C options.  The car has been tinkered with over the years, so I can't claim that it has the original wiring or lights, but the wiring appears to be original because of the tags on it.  The car was built Dec 1, 1966 in Dearborn.

I took the wiring out of the car last winter, and put it all in the same box.  I didn't know about the proof wire at the time.

It had the back lit blue and red warning lights. 
It has the early vacuum splitter under the dash for the tilt.
It has the early vacuum can inside the engine bay under the hood hinge.

For the proof wire, or at least what I believe is the proof wire, there is a single black wire leading from the firewall to the relay along the driver side.  It is integrated (taped) into the wiring harness part way and appears to have been built that way.  It has a male end at the firewall and a ring at the relay.  I can't find a triple female connector for it.  The wire does have a p/n on it, but it isn't what was identified above (I think it was like 9A611?)  I will verify tonight.

Now, I'm adding Speed Control to the car, so there is another dimension of mystery and craziness.  In the Speed control section of the MPC , the wire C7ZB 9C877-A is identified as the 'Wire Assy. - Speed Control Extension'.  So, if the wire has a triple female end, then it appears that the Speed control and the convenience could both plug into it?

I am adding the Curtis Wright system because my car is an early model and would have received it before the Perfect Circle system was available.  I picked up some Speed Control wiring from a 67 passenger Ford and it as a red wire that I had identified as the 9C877 wire.  The control unit on full size cars is mounted on the inside of the driver side wheel well, so the wire lengths are off, but it has all the wiring and fittings for the Speed control.  I thought I would just adjust the wiring lengths to fit the Mustang.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:09:04 PM by 67GTAConvt »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
I have a 67 GTA convertible with factory (Marti verified) tilt wheel, convenience control and A/C options.  The car has been tinkered with over the years, so I can't claim that it has the original wiring or lights, but the wiring appears to be original because of the tags on it.  The car was built Dec 1, 1966 in Dearborn.

I took the wiring out of the car last winter, and put it all in the same box.  I didn't know about the proof wire at the time.

It had the back lit blue and red warning lights. 
It has the early vacuum splitter under the dash for the tilt.
It has the early vacuum can inside the engine bay under the hood hinge.

For the proof wire, or at least what I believe is the proof wire, there is a single black wire leading from the firewall to the relay along the driver side.  It is integrated (taped) into the wiring harness part way and appears to have been built that way.  It has a male end at the firewall and a ring at the relay.  I can't find a triple female connector for it.  The wire does have a p/n on it, but it isn't what was identified above (I think it was like 9A611?)  I will verify tonight.

Now, I'm adding Speed Control to the car, so there is another dimension of mystery and craziness.  In the Speed control section of the MPC , the wire C7ZB 9C877-A is identified as the 'Wire Assy. - Speed Control Extension'.  So, if the wire has a triple female end, then it appears that the Speed control and the convenience could both plug into it?

I am adding the Curtis Wright system because my car is an early model and would have received it before the Perfect Circle system was available.  I picked up some Speed Control wiring from a 67 passenger Ford and it as a red wire that I had identified as the 9C877 wire.  The control unit on full size cars is mounted on the inside of the driver side wheel well, so the wire lengths are off, but it has all the wiring and fittings for the Speed control.  I thought I would just adjust the wiring lengths to fit the Mustang.
Yes, they would share the same wire.
Be sure to look for the article in the Library of this site for the Speed Control Installation instructions. It should answer most of your questions. Rare to find any factory installed speed control on a December built example so good luck in your pursuit of stress for getting it "correct".
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67GTAConvt

I know I'm chasing that Speed Control Dragon but I'm REALLY close to having everything I need.  I also understand that the dealer installed option was probably the Full Circle system, which would be WAAAAY easier, but I ended up with all of the Curtis Wright parts, so I'm going for the factory install.  The installation instructions in the library are a GREAT help!

So, not to hijack this thread with Speed Control nonsense...

I went through my wiring and found the factory proof wire.  It had been cut down to about a foot and I believe it was attached to the back of the ignition switch.  I bought the car and immediately disassembled it, so I have no idea if any of the convenience options even worked.

Now, I'm going to have to hunt down that wire..