Author Topic: Injection Molded Parts  (Read 799 times)

Offline 9F94M567042

Injection Molded Parts
« on: March 02, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I am curious to know if anyone knows of a good supplier/maker of plastic injection molded parts.
Things like wire connectors, vacuum splice t's and the like. I have a few that are in need of replacing
and that are getting harder to locate. I know I can get replacements that would work, but being an
original type of individual, I try and avoid going that route. So, I am looking for someone who could
reproduce a few of these parts without having to order say 10,000 or so. Who knows, if I can get a few
of these reproduce at a reasonable cost, maybe I can offer them to other members who think the same
way I do.
Thanks for Your Time,
P.S. Jeff, feel free to move this topic if you wish.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Injection Molded Parts
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »
Looked into a similar project years ago with doing the battery shields. Initial discussions with a small local shop was that for short runs aluminum dies were much cheaper than the steel ones but they wore out much quicker and lost detail int the process. Sure things have changed allot since then - allot more is being done off shore but hear allot of stories and we see the results of these often in the reproduction parts.

Not sure if West Coast Cougars, NPD or Virgina do any direct making of parts like this but and or all might have a lead

Good luck
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KevinK

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:21:00 PM »
You might consider 3D printing. I’m looking at a product this company makes.  Looks like they are open to making products.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UGC57QJ69/2-1-16-quot-gauge-pod-for-1979-1986-mustang-fairmont
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 07:57:45 PM »
You guys are making this much too complicated.
With a bit of practice you can make a lot of your own parts.
For small and personal runs make your own mold (silicone is one mold making option) and the required casting material (two part urethane or other material with the required durometer or other specificiation).

Go spend a few hours here:
https://www.smooth-on.com/

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 11:17:15 PM »
You guys are making this much too complicated.
With a bit of practice you can make a lot of your own parts.

I two have made a small number of parts in the past but the issue is normally what the final product is to be made of. Found  plastic parts, intricate ones (with markers markings or engineering numbers) often required pressure before the 3D process became available widely and for home use. Before that we had to beg for access to government sources in the friends "free time"

Using allot of the methods as shown in the site you posted and similar ones I found I had too many throwaways and that can get frustrating. Noticed that allot of their (the link)  processes include using a pressure chamber. Those look like a few thousands of dollars at least

Doing a vacuum T would be beyond my ability to make at home in any volume  but my hat is off to those that choose to spend their time and dollars doing things like this themselves
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:31:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 11:46:37 PM »
Saw an episode of Restoration Garage the other day.
The were getting inclusions into a red lens due to air in the mixture.
One can use vacuum to help with that issue.
But the pressure can be done simply by using a paint pot.
The stuff we're making isn't that large.

Anyway, happy molding!
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion