Author Topic: "Early" 1967 Brake Proportioning Valve?  (Read 8211 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: "Early" 1967 Brake Proportioning Valve?
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2020, 04:52:40 PM »
I contacted Scott at NPD (Scott302 on this forum) about the listing in the NPD catalog about the "very late 67 brake line, 2265-25" and here is a portion of his reply. On a side note, I've been in contact with Bob Gaines on this subject as well.

If I remember correctly the part was created by the manufacturer, Classic Tube, based on a sample they received that did not match the drawings they had.  They identified it as being original and built lines from that sample.  This dates back decades ago.  The application info we list is that which Classic Tube provided to us based on the info they were given with the sample.   We have to stay open to the idea that the sample was original and our application data specifies very late production with a front mounted prop valve.  Those ordering it would understand that requirement (I hope) and is evidenced by the lack of returns of the part.

If it is was not actually an original sample it does allow the use of the Ford replacement valve up front and fills the space left by the removal of the rear cylindrical valve.  Regardless I’ll tweak the application info a bit.

Regards,

Scott
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2020, 05:33:09 PM »
I contacted Scott at NPD (Scott302 on this forum) about the listing in the NPD catalog about the "very late 67 brake line, 2265-25" and here is a portion of his reply. On a side note, I've been in contact with Bob Gaines on this subject as well.

If I remember correctly the part was created by the manufacturer, Classic Tube, based on a sample they received that did not match the drawings they had.  They identified it as being original and built lines from that sample.  This dates back decades ago.  The application info we list is that which Classic Tube provided to us based on the info they were given with the sample.   We have to stay open to the idea that the sample was original and our application data specifies very late production with a front mounted prop valve.  Those ordering it would understand that requirement (I hope) and is evidenced by the lack of returns of the part.

If it is was not actually an original sample it does allow the use of the Ford replacement valve up front and fills the space left by the removal of the rear cylindrical valve.  Regardless I’ll tweak the application info a bit.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks Jim for reaching out to Scott on this issue. This isn't the first time that the tube companies have made up a pattern based on a incorrect sample. At the very least the modified brake line will allow options for owners on which style they could possibly put on their 67 cars . Not factory but the 68 style on a 67 has maintenance and cost advantages . FYI you will have to substitute the 67 style plastic brake warning switch in the 68 distribution block for things to match up with the 67 wiring harness. The repro 68 distribution block and proportioning valve that includes lines assembly is spot on with the exception of the metal stamped engineering number .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2020, 05:47:20 PM »
I looked through my picture collection and did not find any to support this purported early vs. late thing, so I guess I was caught up in the hype.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2020, 06:00:17 PM »
I looked through my picture collection and did not find any to support this purported early vs. late thing, so I guess I was caught up in the hype.
NPD has such a great track record it is no wonder why so many people myself included bank on many things that they put in their catalog. I don't know about anyone else but I am giving them a pass on this misunderstanding in their catalog.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2020, 07:20:53 PM »
NPD and WCCC has been great to deal with over the years.  If this many here are confused I could easily see how it could happen at NPD with what they carry.
Don at West Coast Classic Cougar was extremely helpful as well with some hands-on information.
                                                                                                                         -Keith