Author Topic: 67 SJ Running Change Survey - E2- Rear valance screw style  (Read 954 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
67 SJ Running Change Survey - E2- Rear valance screw style
« on: November 06, 2019, 02:38:33 PM »
I didn't see a link in the main 67 SJ running change thread:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=20681.0
and wonder if this is indeed a running change or a stock/restock assembly line issue.

On my signature 67 SJ car I thought it had the large head screw on the valance, but my original valance shows only a scuff mark for the smaller screw (see pic).
If your valance has the correct stamping date for your car (similar to other sheet metal dates, but before your actual build) don't go by what is installed today. Instead look for screw witness marks on the valance under the screw.

My valance is 12/8/66 on a car with a lot of mid-January sheet metal. It could be that the dual exhaust cutout valance wasn't in high demand, so early stock may be expected.

This un-restored car:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17981.0
shows the small painted screw in the third hole in from the outside.

67gtasanjose [Richard] noted "Sticking only with San Jose built 67's, I know my November-built example used a flat screw head (similar to the screws found under the upper door weatherstrip holding the stainless trim to the roof rail)." in this post:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17981.msg118069#msg118069

I think we need a survey on this item.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 SJ Running Change Survey - E2- Rear valance screw style
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »
Linked this thread to the Main running change thread and associated number

Spent the last three hours looking through what I  currently have and like allot of details not many people taking pictures of this well hidden (bumper sort of gets in the way) detail. Most of the examples I found were pictures I had taken.

Since the screws were installed in two different locations on the assembly line (one before and one after the change over) so looking for those differences also.  Like other years the first two would be painted while the later ones would not be.

Findings I found in my collection spanned from approx Oct 29th to May 25th disregarding restored cars in the survey

Not sure if my findings could be called a running change but instead some short term hardware supply differences. All of the unpainted screws I found were the pan head Phillips screws we see used through much of the 66 San Jose production.

The vast majority of the painted screws were also (the same) pan head Phillips like the later installed ones. Did find a short period around Jan 17th were I found the flat head Phillips being used as found during 66 San Jose production for the painted screws.

Since you mentioned Richards reported the use of the same flat head screw on a Nov 66 car if I read his post correctly they were found to be the two painted screws as I found used in the Jan period.  Should be reported that I have about a half dozen cars with the pan heads for the painted screws between his Nov date and my mid Jan 67 findings
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: 67 SJ Running Change Survey - E2- Rear valance screw style
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 01:23:55 PM »
That's a lot of work, Jeff.
Hope it helps others.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion