Author Topic: Engine OK stamp and chalk marks for 67 390S code San Jose  (Read 200 times)

Offline robz64

Engine OK stamp and chalk marks for 67 390S code San Jose
« on: July 07, 2021, 09:58:05 PM »
I'll start with no Build Sheet! I was on Dead On Nuts site and found some helpful info.  I was wondering if one of the Judges can clarify the OK stamp and engine markings.

Engine 390, San Jose Plant, Chrome Valve Covers.  Built Date: Oct 1966

Which stamp configuration: O.K., OK or O-K? Does it matter which side the stamp is on and proper color, yellow or white?

Any chalk marks on the engine, proper color/s?

Thank you ahead of time! 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Engine OK stamp and chalk marks for 67 390S code San Jose
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 11:37:50 PM »
Never found any original 67's with the OK on the valve cover. Don't believe they started that practice till the 68 production year. Sure you can find some "restored"  ::) examples with them.

Most of the engine finish details are the same as the other plants since the engines were only assembled one place. Options and items installed on the engine at the individual plants could vary and often did depending on the part

Guess if your trying to get little paint mark details correct ALL of the other details on the car are 100% since if your worried about showing, in most classes paint marks are not required and will only, possibly be a source for deductions if they are incorrect. And all the paint marks in the world don't make up for having the wrong finish or part on an assembly that makes up the car.

Only crayon markings I've documented on the engine assembly itself would be the typically found number on the face of the drivers side head. Sometimes circled - depending on worker on shift that day assigned to that task  what ever that was that they were documenting. Documented in red or white.

Exhaust manifolds may have also had paint marks but so few lasted (from the high temps) I'm only aware of those showing up on NOS manifolds
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline robz64

Re: Engine OK stamp and chalk marks for 67 390S code San Jose
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 09:50:14 AM »
Thank you Jeff for the details. You always come through for me. Btw, where were the engines assembled/Plant?

Regards, Rob