Author Topic: Radio Antenna installed by the dealer?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Bsbeck

Radio Antenna installed by the dealer?
« on: January 11, 2022, 02:01:30 PM »
I was reading on the Concours Mustang FB page how the radio antenna was shipped in the trunk, in a brown paper bag, to be installed by the dealer.  A template was also included to use to drill the hole in the fender. I assume this was done the same way on the 67-73 Cougars.  The bigger question is.... how did that cable get routed and put into the wiring loom on the lower dash and into the back of the radio without removing the fender and the dash pad?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Radio Antenna installed by the dealer?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 03:03:04 PM »
On 65-68 Mustangs, there's a hole already in the side cowl panel up above the edge of the kick panel.  It has a plug in it from the assembly plant.  After drilling the hole in the fender, the cable can be fished down through the hole without any disassembly.  It's then just clipped to the lower dash and plugged into the radio.

Someone else will have to answer about post '68 and other models.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bsbeck

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 03:53:58 PM »
Charles, so someone played contortionist and was able to route that cable from the bottom all the way from the fender to the radio?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 04:43:38 PM »
Charles, so someone played contortionist and was able to route that cable from the bottom all the way from the fender to the radio?

Depends on the dealership how they did it. Some got creative (methods and homemade tools/helpers) and after a few, the worker at the dealership figured out what worked the best for them and the guy that could do it the quickest got assigned to do that task for the new car prep
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bsbeck

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 04:52:53 PM »
I've seen a template for the Mustang.  Has anyone ever seen the template for the Cougars?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 09:08:25 PM »
If you cannot fish it through pull the wheel and the rear splash shield. A bit more work but makes it easy.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 12:05:34 AM »
I've always punched the hole (hole saw) in the fender, removed the grommet on the interior kick panel metal and used a coat hanger with the antenna lead taped to it to guide the cable in. Don't forget the antenna base gasket. I've done at least a dozen Fords that way.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 12:58:30 AM »
If you cannot fish it through pull the wheel and the rear splash shield. A bit more work but makes it easy.

I just turn the front wheels hard right and don't remove the wheel. But that is just a choice on some cars. Amount of room you have to work with depends on the year of Mustang or Cougar. 69-70's have the "swollen" cowl section on the outer edges that can get in the way of going in through the wheel well
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 02:30:06 AM »
I would just bend a coat hanger at a good enough angle from inside the car to get close to the fender hole to pull up and attach the antenna end.  Then pull it back through.  I'm sure dealers had their own tricks, removing a splash shield would have been a bit too much work.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 09:25:56 AM »
Installing the antenna is super easy on these cars and does not require removal of anything. The Cougar template was included with Cougar antennas which come in a C7WA marked bag.

I find it is easier if you have one person inside the car waiting to grasp the end of the antenna wire while a second person dangles the wire carefully from outside. A flashlight is handy for the guy on the inside.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline 70-Conv_4sp

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 02:45:08 PM »
I've seen a template for the Mustang.  Has anyone ever seen the template for the Cougars?

Marcus Anghel has an excellent write up on his website for Mustang & Cougar antennas, it shows where/how to locate and info on the original templates

Offline Bsbeck

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 07:43:06 AM »
70-Conv_4sp,  I had forgotten about the write-up from Marcus.  Thank you.

Offline kljacobs

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2022, 05:25:39 AM »
Here is a copy of the original template and installation diagram.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 05:31:25 AM by kljacobs »
Kerry

1968 Mercury Cougar GTE 428
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7
1984 Mustang GT350 Turbo
1984 Mustang GT350 Turbo