Author Topic: "Paint OK" Ink Stamp Pad  (Read 964 times)

Offline must69

"Paint OK" Ink Stamp Pad
« on: February 14, 2021, 11:24:10 PM »
I have duplicated the "Paint OK" stamp that I found on my 64-1/2 Coupe while disassembling  it, but during reassembly the yellow ink I thought would be a good match does not show very well against the black paint.  Any suggestions for a color or type of ink and or pad to use? Thanks.
Phil

Offline jwc66k

Re: "Paint OK" Ink Stamp Pad
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 12:23:45 AM »
One of the marking products we used back in the 60s and 70s was a type called "AERO 1250 INK". It's still available. It's expensive. Call it up on your favorite search engine (I like duckduckgo.com over Google) for more info.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 12:49:22 AM »
Might help to know what plant your car was assembled at. Products used likely differed as did the results. For some I've found paint works better reproducing some while ink better for others.

Yellow on black. Is that what you found on your car?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:53:07 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 08:58:39 AM »
I have had good luck using paint sprayed directly on the stamp . It tends to be more uniform and doesnt bleed out when pressure is applied. A little more clean up is necessary on the stamp

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 10:08:33 AM »
 I had used a model paint to apply my stamp marking. Just lightly brushed on, then immediately wiped clean to preserve the stamp.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline must69

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 10:55:13 AM »
The  car is a Dearborn built car in mid July 64.  Attached is a photo of the stamp, yellow on black (body color).

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 04:08:29 PM »
The  car is a Dearborn built car in mid July 64.  Attached is a photo of the stamp, yellow on black (body color).

Thanks

It has been difficult for me to find a yellow in ink that has been strong enough to show up well against a dark body color. For that reason I typically use spray paint applied to a magazine page or cover f you do anything more than a quick light touch you can often get the wider/thicker look we see so often on later years at NJ for example. Examples of this method are shown on page #14 of the Paint Marks - The Basics article in the Library. It will take a few practice daubs and tests until you get a little build up of paint on the page that has dried and when you test stamp a couple of times were daub in paint. When everything, paints dried and such,is right you may find that the second stamp from a daub may just be right. If you wait too long the paint can become to dry and will start becoming stringy - cobwebs and you have to move over on the page and again start the process. Don't want nor need much thickness to the paint for this to work well

By using paint you will also have a wider variety of yellows to choose one
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline must69

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 04:52:34 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I?ll look at the article and do some experimenting with that method and also try the model paint and see what works.  When I had the stamp made I assumed ink and pad would work, but now that the car has paint on it, that proved false.  My first total restoration, I am learning......a lot!
Phil

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 02:18:56 AM »
The stamping can be incomplete or light.  I prefer to use a stamping pad, but others have had good results with spray paint.  The trick is to not over-do it and have too much paint on the stamp.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin