1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1965 - 1970 Shelby General

Open letter COBRA valve covers

(1/3) > >>

dbenichou289:
I have a set of open letter COBRA valve covers that were removed from an engine back in the '90's.  I believe they were manufactured by ANSEN as I do not see the BUDDY BAR casting info nor the OFFY OECO casting. Is there a way to confirm these are indeed ANSEN covers even though they not include any casting info? 

All of the research I have done comes up with nothing...

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: dbenichou289 on October 22, 2018, 08:32:21 PM ---I have a set of open letter COBRA valve covers that were removed from an engine back in the '90's.  I believe they were manufactured by ANSEN as I do not see the BUDDY BAR casting info nor the OFFY OECO casting. Is there a way to confirm these are indeed ANSEN covers even though they not include any casting info? 

All of the research I have done comes up with nothing...

--- End quote ---
Is there a reason why you want to confirm what MFG given that you already know they are not Buddy Bar? If they are open letter and not Buddy Bar they are about as relevant as any valve covers that you could purchase today is why the question. 

dbenichou289:
I would think having original covers made in the day would be better than the reproductions of today, even though they are not BB.  However, since I don't have any repro's around, I was hoping someone would know how they are different. I am researching the history of these and if I will put these on my car, I can say these covers were available 'off the shelf' back when the car was new.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: dbenichou289 on October 23, 2018, 07:38:28 AM ---.................... I am researching the history of these and if I will put these on my car, I can say these covers were available 'off the shelf' back when the car was new.

--- End quote ---

The challenge I see is that you have two vintage cars listed in your signature both produced well after this design would have been "on the shelf" for use as a dealer installed accessory/add on. Yes one could argue (not something that always works well when presenting a car) that a particular dealer had these sitting around for a number of years unsold rather than ordering and or installing the latest version. Not many buyers of new cars op to put on items that would date their cars even today.

Might consider trading them for more appropriate ones -period correct

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: dbenichou289 on October 23, 2018, 07:38:28 AM ---I would think having original covers made in the day would be better than the reproductions of today, even though they are not BB.  However, since I don't have any repro's around, I was hoping someone would know how they are different. I am researching the history of these and if I will put these on my car, I can say these covers were available 'off the shelf' back when the car was new.

--- End quote ---
It is comparable to being "kind of pregnant" you ether are or you are not . The same goes for the valve covers . They are ether assemblyine style original or they are not. You would be believing a lie if you thought  "off the shelf back when the car was new " would be anything other then the BB marked version. The upside is that they look for all practical purposes the same from the topside.  Unlike the closed letter the open letter didn't start being redone until the late 70's I believe.  Unlike the closed letter valve covers which has many variations the open letter does not. The later open letter reproductions look as good as the assemblyline once installed.  The only thing that is very noticeable about a new set of reproduction open letter valve covers is that the fins tend to be too highly polished. Once installed your used set of non BB open letter valve covers will not look any different then the Buddy bare ones from the top side . 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version