Author Topic: Ammeter gauge wiring  (Read 988 times)

Offline Beeler422

Ammeter gauge wiring
« on: September 20, 2023, 10:04:02 AM »
Where does these come thru the firewall and is there supposed to be a grommet?  I can't find a good picture online.  If someone has a picture that would be great.  Thanks.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Ammeter gauge wiring
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 10:37:33 AM »
Don?t have picture handy but 3/4? hole with grommet just under where engine harness plug
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Online jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 03:00:23 PM »
Where does these come thru the firewall and is there supposed to be a grommet?  I can't find a good picture online.  If someone has a picture that would be great.  Thanks.
What year, what plant, what model, what engine, and what options are you interested in?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 05:43:46 PM »
What year, what plant, what model, what engine, and what options are you interested in?
Jim

Always good to include when and where the car in question was built or add it to your signature so you don't have to type it all the time. At the same time since the question was posted in this section we know it should be 1968, Metuchen plant. Options, transmission and engine size don't change the answer in this case but would for other questions

Believe this is the hole your asking about

Seems that there are not many pictures of 68 Shelby's in the Unrestored Picture section of this site. Guess someone needs to get on that short coming  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Beeler422

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 07:33:16 PM »
Perfect.  Thanks guys.  Now I just need to find a grommet.

Online jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 12:53:08 AM »
That "grommet" may be bonded to the wiring harness. As such, there is no replacement - except removing one from another harness, making a cut and gluing it to the existing harness.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 11:48:08 AM »
That "grommet" may be bonded to the wiring harness. As such, there is no replacement - except removing one from another harness, making a cut and gluing it to the existing harness.
Jim
The 68 Shelby amp/alt gauge grommet is not bonded to the harness . It is a separate grommet.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 02:44:25 PM »
The 68 Shelby amp/alt gauge grommet is not bonded to the harness . It is a separate grommet.

+1 Marty

Online jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 07:29:41 PM »
So, what type is it? Like pic 1, or like pic 2?
The pictures are missing what is on the other side.
Jim

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 09:13:57 PM »
I think it is like #2

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2023, 10:47:36 AM »
Second picture. Outside groove diameter is three-quarter inch and inside hole is half inch.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2023, 10:49:26 AM »
Same as axle vent grommet (that were not used lol)

Online jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2023, 12:12:29 PM »
Second picture. Outside groove diameter is three-quarter inch and inside hole is half inch.
It take a lot to drag pertinent information from members.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2023, 04:34:23 PM »
It take a lot to drag pertinent information from members.
Jim

Not sure that this is true and of course some don't have the time to watch the forums allot. I for one am happy that members participate and share where they can and when they can. We don't want to discourage since we have allot of people with allot of experience here at this site by design and invitation.

IMHO Enough said on the subject
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2023, 06:48:02 PM »
I'm glad someone took the time to provide measurements. I assume this grommet has no Ford hardware part number as it seems to have been installed for a Shelby application. In that case, possible sources are Ace Hardware or Lowe's (I found an almost exact grommet at Lowe's to replace the deteriorated one on a 1937 GE Table Model Radio I'm restoring).
Jim