1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1971 - 1973

Late 1971 Battery

(1/2) > >>

mustangmann:
Hello all;

I am restoring a July 1971 built Mach 1 (Dearborn, of course) and was wondering if Ford was still installing Autolite batteries at this time.  The car I am restoring has a Motorcraft service recommendation sticker that is put on the hood latch support, and not the top of the core support, as is the case with most 1971 Mustangs.   I was not sure if they switched to Motorcraft batteries, as well.  This is a one-owner car, but the owner cannot recall what was in it when new.

Thanks!

Ken Mann

baflstangobx:
I have a Motorcraft ed cap group 27 if you need it.  Bill

mustangmann:
Thanks Bill.

I will get the build sheet out, but if I remember, this car came with a group 24 battery.  I will confirm, and post the result.

Thank you for your help.

Ken

PerkinsRestoration:
 The Autolite Batteries were used well into the 1972 model year. Many Autolite/Motorcraft parts such as Batteries, Starter relays, carbs, starters etc. were date coded.

mustangmann:
Thanks Bob.

The build sheet battery code is AB.  I am guessing that this refers to the battery size and amperage (just a guess).  This is a 351 4V ("M" Code) 4-speed, A/C, Mach 1.  The battery tray is definitely a group 24 size.

Will be purchasing an Autolite battery

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Ken Mann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version