Author Topic: 1970 Interior paint codes - again  (Read 5421 times)

Offline Mwilson7

1970 Interior paint codes - again
« on: August 05, 2015, 07:12:38 AM »
First off I'd like to say I'm new here and REALLY appreciate all of the great information I have found scanning the 69 pages of threads.  Lot's of very knowledgeable people and great information to say the least.

I am finally getting around to slowly restoring a 1970 Q code Mach 1  (3A interior) I've had since 1991 and transform it into a really nice driver with a few performance enhancements and adding a few factory options that I would have ordered if I had ordered this car new.

I'd like to get some clarification around interior paint colors as reading through the archives there seems to be some contradictions as far as what's correct for various interior parts so I thought I'd try to lay things out in a simple way so that I can understand it.  Below I've listed all the larger interior components I can think of and the SEM paint color code that I believe they should be painted.

Metal

If I am reading the archive posts correctly it seems pretty clear that all the metal parts are painted the same color which is the dark charcoal metallic. 

Lower Dash – AP-GPA
Steering column - AP-GPA
Fold down seat - AP-GPA
Windshield trim panel - AP-GPA
Pedals - couldn't find any posts related to the correct color for the pedal arms

Plastic parts

Here is where I start to get confused.  I've seen a few different posts which state everything is SEM VP-4464 dark charcoal metallic but some parts may be a different color. 

Would it be possible for someone to confirm by putting the SEM color code next to each part as I've done above for the metal parts?

A pillar windshield moldings -
Dash pad extensions (4 triangle pieces) -
Steering column plastic collar -
Steering column lower plastic -
Full console - my original looks like molded in color black
Large rear quarter panels -
Small rear quarter panels (fold down only) -
Rear hockey sticks -
Fold down rear upper finish panel -
Hard seat back panels -
Seat hinge plastic covers -
Front lower kick panels - my originals look like molded in color black

Thank you in advance for your time and wisdom.
Mark W
1F05J122
0F05Q189 
0F02G167
9F02G185
Bunch of other Ford's

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1970 Interior paint codes - again
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 02:08:20 PM »
First off I'd like to say I'm new here and REALLY appreciate all of the great information I have found scanning the 69 pages of threads.  Lot's of very knowledgeable people and great information to say the least.

I am finally getting around to slowly restoring a 1970 Q code Mach 1  (3A interior) I've had since 1991 and transform it into a really nice driver with a few performance enhancements and adding a few factory options that I would have ordered if I had ordered this car new.

I'd like to get some clarification around interior paint colors as reading through the archives there seems to be some contradictions as far as what's correct for various interior parts so I thought I'd try to lay things out in a simple way so that I can understand it.  Below I've listed all the larger interior components I can think of and the SEM paint color code that I believe they should be painted.

Metal

If I am reading the archive posts correctly it seems pretty clear that all the metal parts are painted the same color which is the dark charcoal metallic. 

Lower Dash – AP-GPA
Steering column - AP-GPA
Fold down seat - AP-GPA
Windshield trim panel - AP-GPA
Pedals - couldn't find any posts related to the correct color for the pedal arms

Plastic parts

Here is where I start to get confused.  I've seen a few different posts which state everything is SEM VP-4464 dark charcoal metallic but some parts may be a different color. 

Would it be possible for someone to confirm by putting the SEM color code next to each part as I've done above for the metal parts?

A pillar windshield moldings -
Dash pad extensions (4 triangle pieces) -
Steering column plastic collar -
Full console - my original looks like molded in color black
Rear hockey sticks -
Hard seat back panels -
Seat hinge plastic covers -
Front lower kick panels - my originals look like molded in color black

Thank you in advance for your time and wisdom.
Not on list but back side of hard plastic steering wheel is the dark charcoal to match column. Most restorers refinish them in solid black.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:10:30 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »
First welcome to the site

All the parts and paint codes are listed in the Library in the 69 Mustang Section Under 69 Paint codes

There you will find mentioned that the dash pad extensions and the cross bar (for sportsroof non-fold down cars) are painted a slightly different finish - slightly duller than the other charcoal pieces
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mwilson7

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 03:38:15 PM »
Message in error
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:02:46 AM by Mwilson7 »
Mark W
1F05J122
0F05Q189 
0F02G167
9F02G185
Bunch of other Ford's

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 03:50:18 PM »
So after reading the information in the library it appears that all the interior plastic pieces are painted charcoal black except the console ash tray which should be black.

Remember that many parts were made from black or off black material that didn't require painting (passenger side dash insert if you didn't get deluxe, console, steering wheel....) so those are not included in the lists
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mwilson7

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »
I'm dealing with a Mach 1 deluxe interior so does that mean it's all painted charcoal metallic?
Mark W
1F05J122
0F05Q189 
0F02G167
9F02G185
Bunch of other Ford's

Offline Mwilson7

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 07:03:00 AM »
Sorry to bring this up again but I guess I'm still confused on a couple things.

- I'm working on a 1970 and you recommended I look at the 69 color chart.  For my own clarification is there a reason for this as I notice there is one for the 70 as well but it isn't clear.

- when I read the 70 chart it breaks the parts into two sections but the first section Which covers semi gloss painted parts seems to state that both black (9295) and Charcoal black poly (32586) apply to all of these parts.  If this is correct how do I know which parts are supposed to be painted which color?

Thanks again for your help!
Mark W
1F05J122
0F05Q189 
0F02G167
9F02G185
Bunch of other Ford's

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 02:14:19 PM »
Sorry to bring this up again but I guess I'm still confused on a couple things.

- I'm working on a 1970 and you recommended I look at the 69 color chart.  For my own clarification is there a reason for this as I notice there is one for the 70 as well but it isn't clear.

- when I read the 70 chart it breaks the parts into two sections but the first section Which covers semi gloss painted parts seems to state that both black (9295) and Charcoal black poly (32586) apply to all of these parts.  If this is correct how do I know which parts are supposed to be painted which color?

Thanks again for your help!
One of the ways to get confused is the fact that getting a good coverage with the charcoal metallic requires a good base coat of black paint underneath. The charcoal dosn't cover well and without the black base coat you end up having to lay on multiple coats which can fill in the texture made into the parts and give a non factory smooth fiinish.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »
Lets start again. It can get confusing since the reference includes many different car makes. Also it appears that not all the items your asking about are covered in the document

According to that reference (original Ditzler/PPG paint chip pages)

Metal

Lower Dash – (and glove box door) Black Poly
Steering column - Black Poly
Fold down seat -
Windshield trim panel - Black Poly
Pedals - Painted black. Paint applied (from the bottom up) about 2/3-3/4 of the length leaving the top section unpainted

Plastic parts

A pillar windshield moldings - Black Poly
Dash pad extensions (4 triangle pieces) - Charcoal Black Poly
Steering column plastic collar - Not painted
Full console - Not painted
Rear hockey sticks -
Hard seat back panels - Not painted
Seat hinge plastic covers - Not painted
Front lower kick panels - Not painted

The items not responded to above I could not find in the list :(  and for the heck of it I looked at the 71 paint information and it follows the same pattern they printed in 70 and the wording is pretty close to being the same.

I wonder if it would be better for you to use the 69 paint instructions rather than the 70 as we started out especially considering that the 70- up includes the other two car models confusing the subject and possibly including some misleading information
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mwilson7

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 09:04:10 AM »
Ok, I understand now.  Thanks for clearing it up.
Mark W
1F05J122
0F05Q189 
0F02G167
9F02G185
Bunch of other Ford's

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 05:44:55 PM »
Ok, I understand now.  Thanks for clearing it up.

Not sure if I cleared it up - just looks like a mess on the 70 paint chip sheets :(  and difficult to figure out- understand your challenge
Jeff Speegle